I need some information please...

I posted this in the U.K forum too, but hopefully I can get some more opinions over here...

Ok, so heres what's up.

Last saturday (9-22) my Uncle was in England on a business trip, specifically the Yorkshire area, and was involved in a serious car crash. From the information that I could piece together he was broadsided by a police car that was possibly in pursuit of another car. Well anyway, the car was totaled and the air bags did deploy.

When the ambulance arrived they didn't put a cervical collar on him, nor did they put him onto a backboard. He was transported sitting upright in the ambulance and while he was at the hospital they didn't do any CT scans or x-rays. He received stitches for the laceration above his eye and he cannot remember much of the accident. They did not admit him to the hospital and he is now at some type of Bed and Breakfast. Now a few days later he is complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath.

I guess my question is, why weren't spinal immobilization precautions used and why wasn't he given a CT scan or x-rays once at the hospital?

I'm just curious as to the protocols over there and if the lax treatment he was given is standard.

I honestly don't know anything about EMS overseas and would appreciate any information that can be provided.

Many thanks,

Scott

Scott,

Some of our friends on the east end of the pond may be able to offer insight on their guidelines. But as to comments to your specific case? That might be hard to come by.

There's a lot of information missing from what you've posted. It even sounds like you're not entirely sure what happened. So for people to be able to critique a call when so much is missing might be a little hard to do.

Just don't be disappointed if you don't get the answers you're looking for.

Good luck.

-be safe

Perhaps they have progressive selective spinal immobilization protocols? But it would seem they still violated all of them I am aware of. But I have no knowledge of the system over there.

I would like to say it would be better not to double post. We are all busy bodies on here and read all the other countries posts as well. So we would see origional post and comment if we wanted to.

I know that it's a big no-no to double post, I guess that I just got frustrated and impatient. :oops:

It's just that me being the only "medical person" in the family they all come to me for answers about his treatment and why things were done the way they were done. And of course, I don't have the answers that they're looking for. So me being the "medical person" that I am, I come to you guys of EMTcity b/c if ya'll don't have some input or answers or whatever, then no one does. lol.

Sorry again for the double post.