Rescue Dogs

AprilPretty07

• 7 months later...

[/font:b3273a73b6] SARgal, I am also in Michigan. Do you work directly with the S&R dog? I just wondered because I am trying to find an organization to help me train my pup. She's got fantastic drive and I noticed most S&R teams I've read about tend to have only MFR training only. Only S&R organization even remotely nearby that I found was up in Houghten I think. I'm also in da UP :D But east. :)

There are many different organizations that use search dogs. In our rural county we have four canine officers, 1 state police canine unit, one fish and game, and a neighboring SAR team with k-9 resources. We also have three dogs in training. I have a GSP and my friend has two GSD.

The dogs are certified by NASAR, FEMA, USPCA, and several other groups. They also have different jobs. Mine is an air scenter, while my friend and most k-9 officers are trackers. We also have access to cadaver and water search k-9's.

I train with the local PD and SO as they want decoys and I need experience and bodies to find. Even trade in my opinion.

I do know of a started dog (she needs about another 6-9 mos of hard training) to a SAR individual. She is an air center. This dog is only available to an acitve SAR member, but they do not have to have k-9 experience if they have a training group to participate with. Anyone interested can PM me and I can get you details.

Other resources are the rescue dog foundation and FEMA if you are looking for specific results of dog finds, although they are going to be somewhat incomplete.

Michael

Using dogs, as with anything relating to search and rescue, is an inexact science...

If you're interested in training a dog for SAR purposes yourself, I suggest you google for a SAR agency near you. If you just want to learn more about the dogs in general, then I'd go for the nasar link...

I've watched both air scent and trailing dogs work now, and I think they're absolutely cool to have on a search. I'm training to be a dog support person at the moment (carry extra water, navigate, safety officer for the dog team) and my fiance and I are getting a golden retriever pup who is going to learn to be a SAR dog if he's got the right yen for it!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.