EMT "Boot Camps" Your Thoughts Please

brianjemtbff

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMT-B holds our profession down, no matter how quickly or slowly the course is run.

Three weeks or three months, it doesn't matter. It's still a joke.

Heres the thing. If anyone else had said that, Id eat their liver. Dust has earned the right to say it because he has has been around long enough to know that by and large it is true. But if youre an EMT-B and your pulse still thrills to the sound of the Velcro on your Galls trousers, youre who he's talking to. Dust and I have had this converation personally, one on one. As I understand his position, EMS is not held down by EMTs who know their place. Its held down by those who think they are mini-medics. If you listen to what he says about Basics you will here him say that those that work around him crike patients, tube em, put in chest tubes, etc. Thats because they are 68Whiskeys who come in as Basics and are uptrained to the level that they can kick the ass of most civilian Medics. When I came to this board I was a cocky EMT who needed to be put in my place. I have since lost patients, been hurt my amped up meth heads and generally slammed around by the profession. I get hurt alot less now that I know my limitations and I have people like Dust to thank for it. I know what I know but more importantly know what I dont know and when to get the hell out of the way. EMT mills dont teach it and EMT "schools" dont teach it. Only working with people who are better than you can ever hope to be will you come to see your limitations. I pride myself that I work right at the edge of mine, but I can do that because I have been taught and know where they are. You cant teach that, you can only learn it.

I get hurt alot less now that I know my limitations and I have people like Dust to thank for it. I know what I know but more importantly know what I dont know and when to get the hell out of the way. EMT mills dont teach it and EMT "schools" dont teach it. Only working with people who are better than you can ever hope to be will you come to see your limitations.
Good point in that all this hero/Ricky Rescue stuff isn't filtered out during EMT school, so I wouldn't always blame EMTs who act that way, because they don't know better. They're simply acting how they see everyone else act. No good role models.

I worked in public safety before, so got my whackerish tendencies mostly out back then, but otherwise I'd be running around like everyone.

• 3 months later...

I depends on the teaching style, and mainly on the person or people who you or i would be teaching this to. You have to want to be an EMT or Medic bad to understand. You get what you put into it. If the newbies only care about certain areas and not about everything, well i say you need to start over. I feel It can be done, with the right "boot camp gang", dedicated emt/medics and dedicated newbies wanting to learn and listen. No no it alls is needed . just true die hard learners.

kim

I depends on the teaching style, and mainly on the person or people who you or i would be teaching this to. You have to want to be an EMT or Medic bad to understand. You get what you put into it. If the newbies only care about certain areas and not about everything, well i say you need to start over. I feel It can be done, with the right "boot camp gang", dedicated emt/medics and dedicated newbies wanting to learn and listen. No no it alls is needed . just true die hard learners.
I don't really get it. You have to want to be a medic/EMT bad to understand what? How will wanting it really bad make you understand? If a newbie only cares about certain areas, how will starting over help? And what does starting over mean? Retaking the class? WHAT can be done with the right "boot camp gang"? "No no" what?

That was a very confusing post.

kim

pancake%20bunny.jpg

Even as dispatchers.

Ouch Ouch Ouch -- this dispatcher IS an EMT-B and I don't work the field, but I am required to keep up my licensure just as any body else would. AND to be very honest I find myself with my nose in a book because I have found if I dont use it I loose it! But do I REALLY need to go on to medic school?

Ouch Ouch Ouch -- this dispatcher IS an EMT-B and I don't work the field, but I am required to keep up my licensure just as any body else would. AND to be very honest I find myself with my nose in a book because I have found if I dont use it I loose it! But do I REALLY need to go on to medic school?

Yup you better get your butt in gear and get your education young lady.