Job Advice/Situation Advice

tskstorm

You used the term as a generalization and I think those responding to you used it in a similar manner.

However, with that being said, the tone with which the phrase was used implies an attitude and verbal interaction which would most certainly lead to an unpleasant separation from an organization.

If you, as politely as humanly possible, simply said, "Look, guys, I know you have the other run for us but the boss agreed to letting me leave early today for school. Can the next crew please take that?" then you're not telling them to "stick it". If this is the scenario as it actually played out, then you're misrepresenting yourself to us.

If you in a rather crass manner said, "I can't take it because I have to go to class. Get someone else to do it." then, well, you're fired.

You're young. We all get it. You've demonstrated that on more than one occasion. For some reason, though, you're still liked and I'm sure you have much to contribute. But your choice of words is just as important as how you present them (are you sensing a trend here?).

If you told the dispatcher to FOAD then tell us you said "I told 'em to FOAD". If you chose the former of the two above scenarios then tell us you said that. This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. If you want to continue in this business, in *ANY* business, please work on understanding that. Then, once you understand it, please work on implementing it.

Good luck.

-be safe

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What is the appropriate course of action from here? I could go around her to the office, or one of her supervisors but I don't really want to 'burn the bridge' or burn any bridges for that matter...

I think a lot of us have made hasty (or looking back, stupid) decisions on the job. Hindsight being what it is, you probably could have pulled in coverage for that last call vs. just saying no. However, since your schooling apparently has some of these ex coworkers directly involved as instructors, I would advise you to try to mend fences. People do hold grudges.

Write your ex supervisors (cc to all of them), tell them how important school is to you, and how you felt pressured trying to meet all the requirements of both school and work.....explain how you tried to work around this issue, how you were willing to work different shifts, etc. Possibly even regrets on how you handled the last call.

Worth a try, and you might get by better in school.

Good luck :(

You used the term as a generalization and I think those responding to you used it in a similar manner.

However, with that being said, the tone with which the phrase was used implies an attitude and verbal interaction which would most certainly lead to an unpleasant separation from an organization.

If you, as politely as humanly possible, simply said, "Look, guys, I know you have the other run for us but the boss agreed to letting me leave early today for school. Can the next crew please take that?" then you're not telling them to "stick it". If this is the scenario as it actually played out, then you're misrepresenting yourself to us.

If you in a rather crass manner said, "I can't take it because I have to go to class. Get someone else to do it." then, well, you're fired.

You're young. We all get it. You've demonstrated that on more than one occasion. For some reason, though, you're still liked and I'm sure you have much to contribute. But your choice of words is just as important as how you present them (are you sensing a trend here?).

If you told the dispatcher to FOAD then tell us you said "I told 'em to FOAD". If you chose the former of the two above scenarios then tell us you said that. This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. If you want to continue in this business, in *ANY* business, please work on understanding that. Then, once you understand it, please work on implementing it.

Good luck.

-be safe

Well, see day one I was nice about it, spoke to my supervisor about it was told it wouldn't happen again. Day 2, same thing, so you are right I wasn't as polite.

Secondly, there is no other units, I work out of a satellite base we only do one shift per ambulance, no one to pick up when you leave off.

Happiness, FACT is, you didn't have all the facts because you didn't read the post where I explained and apologized for using that as a generalization. All I'm asking is you read all before interjecting. Oh and on a bit more crass note, If paramedics don't understand generalizations you take family member statements to the letter? You don't think the generalize? You as the paramedic don't generalize when you give a 'general' impression? Just some thoughts.

Chaser, I think thats a great idea, and I will follow up in writing to the appropriate people. Although I don't think my decision was wrong, perhaps I went about it wrong, but school is more important then work in my values list.

Chaser, I think thats a great idea, and I will follow up in writing to the appropriate people. Although I don't think my decision was wrong, perhaps I went about it wrong, but school is more important then work in my values list.

I think you're getting it now. That's probably the best advice you'll receive out of this deal. If nothing else, it is a very poignant and valuable lesson for the future. And I don't mean so much a lesson about communicating professionally, maturely, and tactfully. I mean the lesson that it really doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong in EMS. Shit happens. I have actually been in your position before and know exactly how it feels. I had HR investigate and conclude in a written report to management that I was 100% right and a supervisor was 100% wrong and had violated several policies in the process. I still got fired and the supervisor got promoted. I watched a totally kick ass medic get his name quietly scratched off the schedule (they didn't have the guts to actually fire him) because he disagreed with a manager about the batting order for the company softball team. This nonsense happens everyday in EMS. And if you think it only happens in private companies, you're incredibly naive. I've met as many arsehole fire chiefs as I have ambulance company managers. In fact, most ambulance company owners/managers I have known were much more people friendly than the fire chiefs, who tend to think their city paycheque makes them somebody with political power instead of just a public servant. Welcome to politics.

At this point, it is incumbent upon you to prove to them and yourself just how important school is to you. You gave up a job for it (even if only temporarily so), so you had better give 110 percent to it from here on out. No blowing off studying so you can go play volunteer on Long Island. No studying just enough to get by with a passing grade. If you don't totally bust your arse to come out at the very top of that class, then your priorities you fought for were a lie, and everybody will know it, including you.

Good luck!

I think you're getting it now. That's probably the best advice you'll receive out of this deal. If nothing else, it is a very poignant and valuable lesson for the future. And I don't mean so much a lesson about communicating professionally, maturely, and tactfully. I mean the lesson that it really doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong in EMS. Shit happens. I have actually been in your position before and know exactly how it feels. I had HR investigate and conclude in a written report to management that I was 100% right and a supervisor was 100% wrong and had violated several policies in the process. I still got fired and the supervisor got promoted. I watched a totally kick ass medic get his name quietly scratched off the schedule (they didn't have the guts to actually fire him) because he disagreed with a manager about the batting order for the company softball team. This nonsense happens everyday in EMS. And if you think it only happens in private companies, you're incredibly naive. I've met as many arsehole fire chiefs as I have ambulance company managers. In fact, most ambulance company owners/managers I have known were much more people friendly than the fire chiefs, who tend to think their city paycheque makes them somebody with political power instead of just a public servant. Welcome to politics.

At this point, it is incumbent upon you to prove to them and yourself just how important school is to you. You gave up a job for it (even if only temporarily so), so you had better give 110 percent to it from here on out. No blowing off studying so you can go play volunteer on Long Island. No studying just enough to get by with a passing grade. If you don't totally bust your arse to come out at the very top of that class, then your priorities you fought for were a lie, and everybody will know it, including you.

Good luck!

well, I certainly haven't and don't plan on volunteering. I most definitely don't plan on blowing off studying for anything except, personal health reasons, or family emergencies if they arise.

Thanks again.

I'm not worried about the job, easily replaced. As we all know EMS is a very small community, burning a bridge here, can burn a bridge elsewhere later.
That was the reason I posted my reply. I comprehended that you didn't care much for the job...but the reputation you leave at a company can follow you for awhile, not through references necessarily, but through word of mouth. Even if the "stick it" is a generalization, the advice given is the same...I wager the posters DID understand you didn't say that specific phrase, but felt the advice was equally as valid.

This is the exact reason that NYC-EMS eliminated the part time paramedic training program in the late 1980's in favor of a full time class.

In NYC-EMS, they had a bunch of EMT's going to medic school 6-10 but working day work on an ambulance. Invariably they would get late calls, or stuck for mandatory OT or some other BS. When the cried to their LT's that they were due in medic school, they were told, "yeah but I've got a vacancy to fill." People were burning out,....

The bottom line is ,, go to medic school full time, and devote yoursefl to studying, when you are done, you can reapply, or go work somewhere else....

The only other option you have is to work, midnights, that way, you get off @ 0600, even if you get a late job, you still have time to go home, sleep, and get to medic school in a timely fashion.

Sounds to me like you dont have much or a choice, your bosses have plenty of medics and obviously they do not care about your education, they are worried about clearing the calls. Where ever you go, dont expect much sympathy, operational priorities trump your education, which is importmant to you, but not your bosses, dispatchers, supervisors, etc.

Good luck,

FormerEMSLT297 and full time paramedic student graduate.

This is exactly the reason why when I was working as an undergrad I refused to work before school. I had no problem taking up the back half of a 12 hour shift AFTER class, but I would never work the morning before class. This solves the "What do you do if you get a call 5 minutes before you're off and you're supposed to be somewhere [at an exam is a popular example] right after work" interview question.

I know this thread is getting old...but I had a thought.

Why not send a letter to your employer, stating that as you had not been scheduled to work in XXX number of days, you requesting from them your employment status. If THEY say then that you're "let go", then you know where you stand. If they say you're still employed, then at that point, I'd want to know why in the h3ll are you not on the schedule. Be sure to send it certified/delivery notification requested/etc, to prove it was received.

As you stated earlier, you may have moved on already. If that's the case, then good luck. This was just an idea on what could have been done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.