Partner Preferance?

JRockEMT

I am new to this site, so if this topic has been done before, then I am sorry. However, I was reading JEMS Mag and there was a topic in there about partner preference, and I was kinda dissapointed with the results. I have been an EMT for 3 years now, so I know I have a long way to go, but, I do think I am a good EMT. The question was whether a Medic would prefer another Medic as a partner, or an EMT. Now I do agree that when I become a Medic, it would be nice to have another medic on my side to share in ALS procedures, but, I strongly believe that if you have an experienced EMT on your side you can run a call just as well. So please post up your feelings on the subject.

Two Medic crew, or Medic and EMT crew?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always preferred a medic partner, and always will. Otherwise, there is a power imbalance that results in an unequal workload, somebody feeling shat upon, and often somebody going on a power trip. If there were no EMTs to push around, there would be no paragods doing the pushing. EMTs also create fewer jobs for paramedics, resulting in less demand, which results in lower salaries. And, of course, it results in our profession being heavily populated by tourists who have no serious professional interest in helping us grow because they are just here for a thrill and plan to move on to something else.

So... an EMT costs me more work. He gives me less assistance. He gives less to the patient. He holds back the profession as a whole. Yeah, it doesn't seem that surprising to me that intelligent medics who aren't on a power trip would prefer to not work with them. Given the choice, I think the patients would prefer the same. Isn't this about them?

No, seriously... I can't think of any good reason to have an EMT on a 911 emergency ambulance when I could have a fellow paramedic as my partner instead.

I don't want a helper. I want a partner. An EMT is not a partner. He is just a helper, no matter how good he is. I'm curious as to why this disappoints you? Are you afraid to make the move up? Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to stay an EMT instead of getting an education. After all, three years? Why aren't you a medic yet? Don't let anybody tell you that you need to wait any longer. It's time to bust a move! Either make a serious, long term commitment to the profession or move on. You're not getting any younger. Or better.

Medic was supposed to start a few months ago, however I have a baby on the way, and my wife had to be on a leave of absence for a while. So financially I have to wait for another year. Putting that aside, I do agree it is nice to have two ALS brains on a truck, and as far as doing ALS procedures it does help with the workload, but, I also believe that while having two Medics can be helpful, it is also in ways harmful. Unfortunately, some Medics do think that they are gods, and having two on a truck, causes ego's to get in the way of patient care. Also, most of those same medics that Think that they are the stuff, are very crappy EMT's. I will be a Medic soon enough, however I firmly believe, that aside from the massive amounts of EMT's who aren't in this job for the right reasons, there are EMT's that I would rather have on my side than most Medics.

People like to wine about uneven workload, but both ( Medic and EMT ) are up running for the same length of time, and a GOOD EMT lightens the load on a medic a lot.

People like to wine about uneven workload, but both ( Medic and EMT ) are up running for the same length of time, and a GOOD EMT lightens the load on a medic a lot.

Not in the least bit. I am the one stuck with all of the critical thinking, all of the paperwork, and all of the liability and responsibility. THOSE are the burdens of the job. THOSE are the things that we would like to share with a partner. The rest is just housekeeping chores that I am still forced to share with my EMT partner. And of course we work the same amount of hours. That's not even relevant. So how is my load lightened? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Congrats on the baby, bro! Awesome avatar pic too! I sure wish you could have gotten the next two years of school out of the way before this though. Being a dad is a full-time job!

Welcome to the City! :thumbright:

Thank you on the baby congrats. I can't wait. I wish I had done more schooling first, myself, however things do happen. As far as the work load is concerned, though. I again do realize that 3 years in is just a small fraction of my career, but I worked pharmacy for 4 years, and have a good knowledge of drugs, also I have made it my job to do continue study and keep up on medical topics, and the people I work with know that on serious calls, I am ahead on getting things set up, and laid out for my medic. i don't in anyway feel that EMT's are better than medics, that would be stupidity, and it may just be that I myself am over due on getting my medic. But loving all aspects of this career, and truly appreciating what we due, I can't see myself, even after becoming a medic, getting so cocky that I forget were I came from. That there are good EMT's out there that I would rather on my side than Some medics. I believe in humility, and that as much as I may know, there is always someone in our line of work that knows more than me. Hopefully this clears my opinion on EMT's up.

But loving all aspects of this career, and truly appreciating what we due, I can't see myself, even after becoming a medic, getting so cocky that I forget were I came from. That there are good EMT's out there that I would rather on my side than Some medics. I believe in humility, and that as much as I may know, there is always someone in our line of work that knows more than me. Hopefully this clears my opinion on EMT's up.

You are making an assumption at this point that you will understand the folly of once you become an experienced paramedic. You see, we're not forgetting where we came from. Having spent seven years as an EMT myself, I know exactly what they bring to the table. Having spent the remaining 29 years as a paramedic, I also know how mistaken I was about my worth as an EMT. I remember thinking what a wonderfully irreplaceable, lifesaving commodity I was to society and EMS. I remember thinking I actually knew something about medicine. I remember feeling under respected and underappreciated by some paramedic partners. Now I know why. You will too once you are a paramedic.

I too believe I was an above average EMT. My education was advanced well beyond EMT school. I was constantly studying and learning, as well as attending college to learn more. I was reading 12 lead EKGs and carrying an ACLS card well before I even started paramedic school. But you know what? I was still just an EMT, and contributed no more to the overall picture than any other, because none of those things are what your partner needs from you. That is not what being an EMT is about. I have likely had more partners in the last thirty five years than any five other people at EMT City put together. There has not been one single EMT that I would choose over a competent paramedic. I don't want to do all the thinking. I don't want to do all the paperwork. And I don't want to take all the responsibility. If I'm having a bad day, I want a partner who can pick up my slack. I want somebody who can perform all of the interventions that I can perform, and to do them without me having to tell them to. Anybody who would rather have a driver/helper than a full partner is, well... there's something wrong with that person. That's just how it is.

The bottom line is, until you are a paramedic, you simply do not know what you do not know. And right now, you don't know the enormous difference between the two, and how little an EMT brings to the table in an ALS system. Other than those system managers who love EMTs because they are cheaper, there are really two kinds of people who could disagree; those medics who like having somebody inferior around that they can dump on in order to pump themselves up, and those EMTs who want to ignore the obvious in order to pump themselves up. Either way, it's selfish. And when you are a paramedic, you'll change your tune, because then you'll be "disappointed" that employers would rather hire an EMT, and that the arsehole medics don't want to work with a rookie. Trust me, it's always something! :lol:

You're a smart guy. I think that, deep inside, you really understand this. It's just not a fun thing to admit. But you don't have to take any of this as a depreciation of your personal worth. It isn't. Take it as a motivating reminder that there is always a next step to take. You are never "good enough" in medicine. You can't ever -- at any level -- rest on your laurels and think you have "made it." You have to keep moving. Moving up. You have a minimum of two years ahead of you right now before many would consider you to even be at the entry level for professional EMS. And after that, you still have an endles road of personal improvement ahead of you. The most experienced and educated guys on this forum are all still getting education today after over two decades in the field. And by education, we don't mean just repeating ACLS and PHTLS, and getting a few CEUs every couple years. None of us would ever claim to be "good enough" yet, so don't be surprised when we say that there are no EMTs that are good enough either. :wink:

Dust has enlightened those EMTs like you that will hopefully take time to absorb the insight and experience. Even though there are some medics out there, that will tell you they had rather work with a "good" EMT, rather than another medic is either wanting you to feel good, as Dust said; "pump themselves up", or simply wanting to sluff as many BLS runs on you as they can. Make no mistake, I have not forgotten where I came from, and for that reason alone, I didn't want to stay there. There will always be a sense of "relaxation" in a medic's mind, knowing they are with an equally trained partner, whom can share the responsibilities "equally". Anything less is.......well...............less. Please do a favor to the medics you care about, to yourself and family. Become a medic asap. I can tell that is where your heart is anyway. I did it, and as a single dad. You can too. Good luck. I'm sure you will make a difference for alot of people during your career. Take care.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.