PCP Part-time Vs. Full-time in BC.

rock_shoes

PCP Part-time Vs. Full time  

5 members have voted

1. 1.

• Part-time
    • Full-time

I'm looking to start into the PCP program in BC in the next 6-8 months and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of the two options. What benefits do the two options offer? I realize taking it part-time will allow me to continue working the entire time, but when it comes to education I typically fare better when the process is a little more intense. I have ADHD so when the education process isn't at a brisk pace I lose my focus.

I look forward to hearing from people who have taken it both ways so I can weigh my options effectively

I have ADHD so when the education process isn't at a brisk pace I lose my focus.

I look forward to hearing from people who have taken it both ways so I can weigh my options effectively

First off you are not a child....you are 23, ADHD can be controlled by ADULTS. If you are starting school viewing yourself with a disability you are setting yourself up for a fall. EMS requires 100% of your attention 100% of the time. If you are going to lose focus on "slow" or "boring" calls forget EMS altogether. There are a few treatments for the disorder you should look into before starting school to control your loss of attention and impulsiveness characteristic of ADHD. Sorry if I sound harsh but I have alot of experience with this and I do not let anyone use it as an excuse. As a sidenote people with ADD or ADHD usually have perfectionist tendencies which will work well if you know how to use them.

Decide whether you will run your ADHD or your ADHD will run you!

To answer your question I took the part time PCP course...every second weekend for a year and a bit. I liked it because it gave me lots of study time on my own as well as with classmates, with all the A&P it is imperative you understand the human body at the cellular level. Whizzing through it in full time classes can soon leave you behind when it comes to topics like acid-base balance and sodium - potassium exchange in cardiology. Being the perfectionist I am I needed the extra time to thoroughly understand all the A&P information and disease processes.

good Luck

Mobey

First off you are not a child....you are 23, ADHD can be controlled by ADULTS. If you are starting school viewing yourself with a disability you are setting yourself up for a fall. EMS requires 100% of your attention 100% of the time. If you are going to lose focus on "slow" or "boring" calls forget EMS altogether.

You're right it isn't an excuse for anything. Even as a child. Let's just say I had my fair share of deserved spankings as a kid. I do know how to control it by this point in my life. What I should have said is that it's much more difficult to control when things are taught over an extended period of time. Med's do help however the side affects are worse than the disorder. Not sleeping for up to 3 days just isn't acceptable. In all honesty it's been as much a benefit as a hindrance over the years. As you mentioned there is a tendency towards perfectionism and I'm typically set and ready to go when others are still looking for that second cup of java.

Point taken on the A&P. If I do take the full time session I plan on diving into that stuff a few months prior to starting. There's a great deal of information to be learned in a short time frame.

Ed

If you have no exposure to it yet I would suggest taking an A&P course before attempting this course. I don't know if I could have gotten through it without my A&P course under my belt.

All this said I assume BC PCP course is simmilar to Sask PCP. Out of my class of 9 we lost 2 when we hit the Resp system d/t the A&P.

In BC it goes like this for full-time. You do one month of home study before writing an A&P exam. Provided you pass the exam you continue forward to 3 months full time education at school, followed by your practicum and licensing exams.

the only advice i can give to you is that when it comes time to do the licencing exam read everything. The exam may have questions that you are not taught in class. So learn to think outside of the box very fast. Oh ya they like to do the all the answeres are right but which one is the rightest. Good luck in your endevors

happiness

the only advice i can give to you is that when it comes time to do the licencing exam read everything. The exam may have questions that you are not taught in class. So learn to think outside of the box very fast. Oh ya they like to do the all the answeres are right but which one is the rightest. Good luck in your endevors

happiness

My EMR licensing exam was like that already so I'm sure the PCP exam will be even more so. Thanks for the heads up though. I'm not a big fan of those which one is most right questions either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.