Field Notes Forms

cfaulknor

Hello

I'm wondering how you guys set up your forms for patient assessment, specifically the ones you guys use to write while you're on the go. If anyone could list what's on it, or better yet, even scan in an image, that would be wonderful.

I use the notebooks (shirt pocket size) carried by a company called Triple Nickel and also some others. Lots of room for vital stats, mutiple sets of vitals, meds, docs, etc as well as a space on the back of each page to kind of scribble a draft of your PCR. The notebook is called "EMS Vital Stats Notebook" and is put out by a company called "Rite in the Rain" which makes lots of responder notebooks that wont run if they get wet in the rain, or other liquids. Hope this helps.

Whatever you do, don't invest much in it, because you won't use it for very long at all. It's kind of like those drug cards that you can't live without. After 6 weeks or less in the field, you'll realise you don't need them and just start writing on tape on your leg like the rest of us.

One of the cooler ideas I ever saw was a guy who had a rubber stamp the size of a pocket notepad made up with little prompters engraved on it. Then he just got those spiral pocket notepads from the dime store and stamped each page. Voila! You have an entire book of cheat sheets printed to your exact specifications!

Whatever you put on there is up to you. I guess if you are a total scatterbrain, you could put all the little acronyms like AEIOUTIPS, DCAPBTLS, ABCDE, PQRST, etc... on there. Maybe just a simple CC, Hx, Exam, VS or SOAP layout. Seems a lot of people want lables for each individual vital sign, but that seems kind of silly to me. I mean really... does anybody have trouble remembering to take those? And does anybody have trouble telling the BP from the pulse or respiratory rate if they're not labelled? And a problem with pre-printed VS charts is that most patients only get one set of vital signs. If you leave room for multiple sets, you waste a lot of space. If you only have room for one set, then your complicated patients' notes get all jumbled and unreadable. There is no one-size fits all

These pads can be good for noting treatments/drugs administered and the times they were given, like on a code board in the ER. But again, most pros either just write it on their taped leg, or on the time-stamped EKG strip. Those are less likely lost than a scrap of paper.

I got a notepad that fits in my pocket, and wrote out my own. Did a few pages, when ever i would use a page, i would write up a few more pages. works out well

Wonderful, but I believe he already has the 'what to write on' part covered.

He's asking us what do you write on those pages?

ancient chinese secret :D ill post it up later if you want

That would be the considerate thing to do, since that's what he asked for.

but in your infinite words of wisdom why dont you enlighten us all mighty know it all

Isn't that what I did in the four paragraphs prior to your first post?

Wow, we sure attract EMS's finest to the forum.

Anyway, I just use cheap notepade bought in a pack of five that fits in my shirt pocket. I really don't think it is worth spending the money on something that is pre-made. It is way too easy to end up losing a notepad. What I would recommend is just a blank notepad and then if say you're going to a chest pain call, maybe scribble down "OPQRST" on the way which can help guide your questioning. It may be difficult to have one form that works all the time. I don't think you want to be spending much time on OPQRST when the Q is "like I got plowed down by a truck" and the O is "when I got hit by the truck."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.