Collegiate EMS

EMT322961

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the US equivalent of a Canadian campus response team then yes. What would you like to know? Please don't tell me this was just so you could get into the chat.

I am not but know of quite a few who have been. Georgetown University has one GERMS (Georgetown Emergency Respons Management System) they have their own ambulance and do their own training in house....from what i hear a pretty well run organization. They also help out DC Fire for the surrounding areas of the campus.

UMBC supposedly has one but from what I hear their EHS LLC and response team my not be happening you can check it out though UMBC EHS.

Tufts has one from what I know of that is okay I believe they have a chase care type response vehicle

those are the ones I know about im sure you can do some research and i am sure there is an association out there for collegiate EMS if you have further questions....you can also PM me and ill look into it and ask around for ya.

k

What would you like to know? Please don't tell me this was just so you could get into the chat.

Smart money says that is exactly why he posted this.

He doesn't want to know anything... except when he can go into the chat room. Otherwise, he would have asked specific questions. I'm getting a little sick of this nonsense.

Smart money says that is exactly why he posted this.

He doesn't want to know anything... except when he can go into the chat room. Otherwise, he would have asked specific questions. I'm getting a little sick of this nonsense.

Me too. I do not frequent the chat so I do not know if it is preventing spammers there, but it is causing so many more crap posts (more or less spam) on the forum.

I'm mostly a lurker here and don't frequent it much, so I don't know much about these new chat rules (didn't know the chat room was so exciting haha), but hopefully something good can come of this thread yet.

I work for a collegiate EMS agency and have great things to say about it. We run 9-1-1 calls only in a densely populated urban area, have the largest scope of practice for BLS in our area, and have a good training program.

And yes, the NCEMSF is a good organization to look into if you are interested in collegiate EMS. Some of them run full ALS transport units 24/7.

I work for a collegiate EMS agency and have great things to say about it. We run 9-1-1 calls only in a densely populated urban area, have the largest scope of practice for BLS in our area, and have a good training program.

Are you the only EMS available on campus, or is there also a city or countywide EMS that covers your campus and surrounding area? Do you cover any off-campus territory? Are you actually EMS, or just first responders?

As for this "largest scope of practice," what exactly does that mean? You run your NRBs at 16 lpm instead of 15? Are your educational requirements also the largest in the area, or just the same as everybody else?

Are you the only EMS available on campus, or is there also a city or countywide EMS that covers your campus and surrounding area? Do you cover any off-campus territory? Are you actually EMS, or just first responders?

As for this "largest scope of practice," what exactly does that mean? You run your NRBs at 16 lpm instead of 15? Are your educational requirements also the largest in the area, or just the same as everybody else?

My my such unnecessary sarcasm. Anyway, we are "actually EMS" - we have ambulances and everything :wink:. If needed, ALS back-up is provided by the local city FD. However, we are the only responding unit to the majority of calls on campus. We cover all of campus and surrounding areas (approximately a mile around campus).

As for the other thing, we are the only first-in 9-1-1 BLS provider in the county that isn't the local FD. AFAIK, we are still the only BLS provider in the county to carry a monitor/defibrillator (which also has EtCO2, SpO2, NIBP, pacing, etc. - obviously, we can't pace, but its there if the medics want to use it). Most of us are certified in EKG interpretation, and we do both 3- and 12-lead EKGs. There are several other things, but this is the general gist. (we are also currently looking into getting CPAP) It really is a great opportunity and I love what I do.

Collegiate EMS is a great thing, and hopefully there are a few more people on this board. Many other collegiate agencies are also fairly progressive in how they do things. Texas A&M, for example, uses electronic PCRs (not exclusive, I know, but still a very new things that almost no one uses).

AFAIK, we are still the only BLS provider in the county to carry a monitor/defibrillator (which also has EtCO2, SpO2, NIBP, pacing, etc. - obviously, we can't pace, but its there if the medics want to use it).

That scares me. Not that you can read (and then not do anything about) the EKG. Props for learning it. What scares me is you have access to this and theres not a paramedic on board. Is there any type of lockout which requires a paramedic to activate the pacing/defib functions? I know how college kids think, and I know how EMS'ers think. Ponder this situation if you will:

21 y/o co-ed presents with SVT. 22 y/o male EMT wants to impress co-ed. EMT defibs, instead of synchronized carioversion. Co-ed enters V-Fib. EMT jumps out back of moving ambulance. The End.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.