Do you ever give patients "tough love"?

spenac

I definately don' pussy foot around the subject. I think that our job is to be caretakers and that part of that duty is prevention. So if someone gets pissed because I have a "heart to heart" with someone in the back of the rig on my way to the hospital, well then I guess thats my perogative to do that. I dont think I would go as far as handing out my number and telling them to call if they are getting into trouble, but I do let them know that legitamate illness whether addiction, mental illness, abuse, should be addressed and the proper help should be sought. Just my two cents.

Scott

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely see where you are coming from with that Dusty. It seems that our dispatchers (and the whole county really) are so afraid of a lawsuit that they will send a medic level ambulance to anything. As far as talking to them goes, we all try to be as professional as possible and hope that eventually something will be done about it.

Man is born with a finite number of breaths in him for a lifetime. I try not to waste any of those breaths preaching to the deaf. Not only is it a waste of my precious breath, but it is counterproductive to society. I wholly encourage the defective amongst us to eliminate themselves from the gene pool. Why would I want to stop that?

I've been saying this for years, but my wife just rolls her eyes, and says I'm too intolerant.

I mean, these people are consuming oxygen that we productive members of society can use. What's up w/ that?!?

Well all I can say is what goes around comes around, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Just remember on day you may need the same service you supply so lets hope when your old, drunk or just plain stupid that the attending paramedic is nice to you in your time of need.

Well all I can say is what goes around comes around, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Just remember on day you may need the same service you supply so lets hope when your old, drunk or just plain stupid that the attending paramedic is nice to you in your time of need.

You can give professional care while telling a person it's their own darn fault. That is what is wrong with our society, we're to pc. We never blame the person for their actions, they are not made to be accountable and thus the horrible cycle we find ourselves in today. If ever I am in the ambulance because of my own bad choices, I hope I have a medic that cares enough to knock the crap out of me. Just maybe it will get my attention and help me get better. Don't give the hand holding bad things happen to good people spill if my bad choices caused my problems.

You can give professional care while telling a person it's their own darn fault. That is what is wrong with our society, we're to pc. We never blame the person for their actions, they are not made to be accountable and thus the horrible cycle we find ourselves in today. If ever I am in the ambulance because of my own bad choices, I hope I have a medic that cares enough to knock the crap out of me. Just maybe it will get my attention and help me get better. Don't give the hand holding bad things happen to good people spill if my bad choices caused my problems.

I agree, but apparently we're the minority. I hear in California they're trying to make possession of common sense a felony...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.