Thinkin about becoming an emt, please answer a few ?s for me

catmasher

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also look into nursing, but was not sure if i had the time or money to dedicate to that much school. Thanks again.

Then you don't have time to become a good EMT or paramedic either. A quick course to get a certificate will only get you enough education to hurt someone. To be any good requires time and continual education.

Ok the cat thing is my email address. My roomate in college had 3 cats that had a tendency to smell bad and pee on stuff. I always joked with him that i was going to smash them. I was just picking a name i would remember.

I like cats...as long as they are at your house.

joked with him that i was going to smash them. I was just picking a name i would remember

I think Dustdevil has a point about the first impression a name gives professionally. (Calling yourself a devil is probably just complying with the legal requirement of full disclosure.)

I think Dustdevil has a point about the first impression a name gives professionally. (Calling yourself a devil is probably just complying with the legal requirement of full disclosure.)

:thumbleft: :laughing6:

I agree a name should be considered for first impressions. If i was at a job interview or something like that, certainly another name would have been chosen. The purpose here, however, was just to ask a few of you some questions in an informal setting.

What i may do after hearing some of your replies is continue with my motorcycle sales business for the next year or so, hire a lawyer to see what can be done on my record, if anything, and talk to some schools and places around here about their policies.

I understand the position yall are taking and appreciate the input.

Cat:

Welcome to the City.

Before you get too bent out of shape, you did ask for our thoughts. Further, you did present yourself in such a manner so as to receive the responses you did. Whether you intended to or not, you did provide the impression worthy of the feedback.

As I'm sure you know, first impressions are important. Unfortunately for you, you didn't come across very well. The only person you have to blame for that is you.

The responses you received are not only well thought out and well presented, but they're correct, too. They're presented by people who have years of experience in the industry. They're presented by people who know what they're talking about. They're presented by people who've dealt with more than their fair share of people who've presented themselves as you have now. You would be wise to drop what attitude you've presented and heed their advice.

And lastly, about the education thing, Spenac is correct. If you don't think you have the time to dedicate to nursing school, then don't even bother with EMS. This isn't a matter of taking a 120 hour night class and being cut loose. This is something to which you must devote years of education to do it well and to do it right. This is not an adrenaline rush job. This is not a matter of "tab A slides into slot B". If you can't dedicate yourself to the education you need then we don't want or need you.

Please stick around and learn more about the job/profession. There's a ton of information here that should help you decide if this is really right for you. There are a few people worth listening to more than others (and often times those are the same people who say things you don't want to hear).

But to start, work on presenting yourself better. Work on a more positive attitude. Work on not being so defensive (especially when people are reacting to how you present yourself).

Good luck.

-be safe

Thank you all for your replies, i appreciate it a ton. I am going to head over to a few places and see if they will indeed pre qualify me. I will also look into nursing, but was not sure if i had the time or money to dedicate to that much school. Thanks again.

Nursing shouldn't take too long since you already have a BA.

paramedicmike, Thanks for the reply.

To be honest i havent been upset or angry about any replies. I have never messaged on forum of professionals, and as such came off the way i did because i was being casual. I understand that everything i post is viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism.

And to all of you replying, I apologize for my impression and still thank you for every reply.

I was just under the impression that nursing school would be about 2-4 years of school and i am not so sure i can afford that as my previous student loans have hefty payments.

I have long thought about being in a profession such as this, and have grown up with a mother who has spared no detail on the ins and outs of what she does. And i have spent much time thinking of "is my head in the right place?" So by being brief in my original post i was hoping to avoid the replies of "examine why you want to do this" and get down to the answers of the record.

I understand that this job can have intense periods of boredom and many times is not exciting. All i want to do is make a difference in the lives of those i come into contact with, rather than sitting behind a desk making a filthy rich ceo even richer or performing menial tasks that doesnt really help anyone. Im not looking for adrenaline shots.

Again, i apologize to all i have rubbed the wrong way and assure you it was not on purpose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.