ACLS

1EMT-P

I suppose you also have to consider that the course is designed for many different types of providers. Even some of the pharmacists here have to take it. I took it during my second year of medical school and the things I needed taught were probably rather different than a nurse or medic or pharmacist. For example, I knew my pharmacology pretty well, but if you would have asked me what vial of lidocaine looked like or how to get it into a patient, I wouldn't have had the faintest idea.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a job offer in the middle east subject to me passing AHA ACLS. In the UK it isn't reocgnised and we use RCUK ALS instead but the job I went for needs AHS ACLS.

How tough is the course compared to the UK one? Is there anywhere I can buy the course manual to do some prior reading?

I have a job offer in the middle east subject to me passing AHA ACLS. In the UK it isn't reocgnised and we use RCUK ALS instead but the job I went for needs AHS ACLS.

How tough is the course compared to the UK one? Is there anywhere I can buy the course manual to do some prior reading?

Well here is a happy ACLS card holder...

funny-monkey-1.jpg

...it's not that tough.

Peace,

Marty

Here, let me break it down for you so you are adequately prepared:

• 1. Find current protocol flow charts on Internet (5 minutes).

2. Memorise protocol flow charts (1 hour maximum).

3. Show up and sit through class (6 to 12 hours, mostly sleeping).

4. Take test that is not graded (10 minutes).

5. Place card in wallet.

• Besides the protocols, you are assumed to have known everything else about ACLS before taking the class. For your patient's sake, let's hope so, because they sure aren't going to teach it to you. It is nothing more than a protocol review. Unless you have a problem memorising flow-charts, I think you'll do fine and get a nice nap in.

The card is not even recognized by the AHA as a certification. ACLS is simply a course that reviews current AHA recommendations based on their interpretation of the current literature and data.

Take care,

chbare.

they sure aren't going to teach it to you

Then what am I spending my money on? A plastic card that isn't recognised in my country? Seems like a waste of time and money to me!

Basically. Have you not read the first page of this thread? It explains it all pretty thoroughly.

In the UK we have to prove that we have maintained our knowledge and skills. Certification as such is not required, just proof that we have kept our advanced life support skills up to date which can be through attendance at a seminar or simply just logging how many times we have performed the skills for real.

However, I was expecting more for my money with the ACLS course. The ALS course just deals with rhythm recognition and when to shock. I was informed that the ACLS course covers significantly more and deals more with cardiac care than pressing a shock button.

The job offer requires current AHA ACLS certification so I guess I have no choice but to attend the course and get the card.

Are candidates tested or is it an attendance course? The UK course has skill stations that have to be passed and a report is written on each station. Fail a station and you fail the course.

You take a written exam and may do a group type megacode station. Remedial training followed by retesting is allowed, so people actually "failing" the course is quite rare. The individual ACLS course effectiveness will vary and greatly depends on the instructors.

I remember assisting with a military course. We customized it for the medics. The course was a week long and contained a substantial amount of pharmacology, airway, physiology, and ECG related material. We actually set up aid bags and full megacode dummies in areas of the armory, had the medics leave the area, then called them for an emergency. The scenarios were based on emergencies that may occur while on a FTX or field training problem. The medics were in small groups and had to do the code from scratch. Scene, assessment, IV start, rhythms, etc. We had actual vials and tubex syringes of meds full of saline and IV's that went to 1 liter bottles. They had to calculate med doses and actually administer the proper dose of med. A good example of how an instructor could customize a course based on a specific level or type of provider.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.