Critical Care Transport

1EMT-P

Does your agency offer critical care training? Does your agency offer a stipend for becoming CCT certified?

My employer incorporates the CCEMTP into their initial orientation process. Our paramedics receive a raise when they obtain CCEMT-P credentials. The Nurses must obtain a certification (CEN, CCRN, CFRN), in order to receive a raise.

Take care,

chbare.

Critical care transports is part of the norm of the transfers where I work, and one better be used to vent care, IV pumps, central lines, sheaths, etc. before they even apply. We do not have CCP positions nor pay additional for it since we consider it part of the Paramedic knowledge.

We are considering of placing our own continuing education in, doubtful there will be a pay raise, rather to keep their position, they will have to attended.

R/r911

Critical care paramedics (CCP) are very very rare in Canada. Let's assume there are (and I'm really ballparking) 20,000 paramedics (PCP, ACP, CCP) in Canada. Out of that 20k, I'd say there are 500 recognized critical care paramedics. Alberta seems to be slightly different regarding CCP designation as their ACP's seem to encompass a lot of CCP scope but anyway...

CCP's in Ontario are generally only in the aeromedical environment. CCP's operate with the provincial air service and are available from that single service for the entire province. Toronto is the only ground service in Ontario that does critical care transports with CCP's (and that's basically all they do, very very little 911). Toronto did a one time job call about 10 years (?) ago and basically that program will disappear with attrition.

That being said there is a significant difference between a critical care paramedic in the US and in Ontario (and I assume Canada in general). The US critical care paramedic program (I believe) is a 2 week-ish course. It seems to be more of a cert. course. Ontario has the only CCP program in Canada that in accredited under the CMA (essentially the national standard). Here is the link...

http://www.ornge.ca/edu-programs.html

Obviously quite a bit different. A new person wanting to be a CCP in the end, starting today, will spend about 4 years in education and quite a bit of cash (2 year PCP + 1 ACP + 1 CCP - assuming that the ACP is flight).

The provincial flight service providers (ornge runs the entire province, but they contract out to preferred providers) to my knowledge still supplement educational costs to an extent if you work for them and wish to enhance your scope. No land service pays for critical care education, because, well, currently it is basically only in the air.

CCP's make in the low-mid $40/h range here though... Not bad...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.