Possibly lowering the legal drinking age to 18

Lone Star

Should states lower the drinking age to 18?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, I think that could lead to a rise in drinking problems and car accidents.
    • Yes, if people are old enough to serve in the military, they're old enough to drink.
    • Yes, but only if they obtain a "drinking license" by taking mandatory alcohol education classes.
    • I don't know.

I vote to leave it alone and tell the "kids" to just get over it, why do we let these kids run OUR world anyways, hell you can't even spank your kid without having to answer for it, that's why I just keep mine locked in a closet.....lol!
You sure as hell can't if the "kid" is legally an adult.

By the way, you do know that the "kids" in question can :shock: vote, right?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone can verify this for me: In order for the various states in the US to qualify for certain Federal monies geared to road building or maintainance, they had to rase the minimum age for drinking to 21.

I agree that if you are old enough to vote, fight for your country, be charged as an adult for a crime, and make decisions as an adult; you should also be given the choice to drink at 18. I live in a rural area and I can tell you without a doubt that the number of kids that get their hands on alcohol and drive around while drinking is astronomical. The way I see it, make it legal for these "kids" to go to a bar and they will pull away from those that are still in high school and underage. We all know that it is more fun to drink with friends in a bar instead of in a car where you could get busted.

The reason I post the whole thing instead of giving a link, is because with MSN, the news is changing and links don't stay 'good' for vry long'. Since this isn't something that's only being debated for a preset time period, why limit the time period to the information?

Works for me. But could you at least post it in an appropriate forum. This one is specifically labelled for EMS related news, not general debate.

If you want to see how a lower drinking age affects things just look north (or east if you're in Alaska). It varies a little by province (18 in some 19 in others), but it's lower than the US drinking age in all provinces. Personally I think if your old enough to vote your old enough to drink.

Personally I think if your old enough to vote your old enough to drink.

Personally, I think the age for voting and for drinking should both be 25.

Personally, I think if you drink, you shouldn't be eligible to vote. Or drive. Or procreate.

Personally, I think the ol "if you're old enough to fight for your country" argument has relevance only if the person in question actually does fight for his country.

Personally, I think the age for voting and for drinking should both be 25.

I think that idea has some merit. I would rather people be forced to become educated in government structure and function to gain the vote as opposed to simply upping the age. I wouldn't worry about the youth vote anyways dust. Most of them don't even bother. I'm kind of the odd one out in insisting that I vote in every election provincial or federal.

Personally, I think if you drink, you shouldn't be eligible to vote. Or drive. Or procreate.

I hope you didn't get the impression that I condone drinking and driving because I most certainly do not. I don't drink at all myself. Never have. I believe in letting people have the choice to direct their own lives so long as it doesn't negatively impact other peoples lives. As far as I'm concerned if someone wants to hit self destruct so be it. It's their life to live. As for procreation sometimes I wonder if people should be required to obtain a "procreation license" to have children (but that's a whole other topic).

Personally, I think the ol "if you're old enough to fight for your country" argument has relevance only if the person in question actually does fight for his country.

No argument from me on that one.

I hope you didn't get the impression that I condone drinking and driving because I most certainly do not.

LOL... well I hope you didn't get the impression that any of that was aimed at you personally. I it wasn't meant to be. I was just venting. :D

LOL... well I hope you didn't get the impression that any of that was aimed at you personally. I it wasn't meant to be. I was just venting. :D

No worries. I'd say it's quite obvious neither of us are fans of alcohol or stupid people being allowed to vote. :D