EMTS in illinois

If there are any EMTs who work as an EMT this question is for you. I am moving back to illinois after working out in san diego as an emt. i wanted to know if you have any advise on good EMT positions? Any help would be great. thanks guys

I live in central IL. Basically, unless you are a Paramedic, there is nothing worthwhile here. Hence, that is why I am in school for my paramedic.

You might get lucky to get something in Rockford, the Quad Cities, or Chicago but even then you are looking at driving and not doing much if any patient care. Of course, you might get lucky and get a gig in Peoria with AMT as a basic. I don't have any information about he Springfield area. I had connections at SAA but not anymore. Or you might get on doing on call but the money is unreliable. Illinois is not known for outstanding basic employment.

As suggestion, if you have decent employment in Cali, stay there, work as a basic and get your Paramedic and then come back. Don't mean to sound grim but I also don't want you to think you are going to come back to a surplus of jobs waiting for you.

I live in central IL as well and will start school at AMT on Tuesday for my basic. But as ladyEMT says, unless your a medic, there is nothing here. Basics here work in the ER, private companies, or are wheelchair van drivers. Nothing wrong with any of the above, but your better off going for your Intermediate and Paramedic if your looking for time on the rigs and more interaction with pts. Although, I know of a company down in Taylorville, IL that is in dire need of basics on their trucks. Its called Dunns, I can get more info if you would like me to. feel free to PM me if you'd like. But either path you choose, best of luck to you!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[/font:ade0d2cce8] I work in Springfield as a Paramedic and its about like anywhere else most places only want to hire paramedics. i know the company i work for called America usually doesn't hire very many basics at all. Lifestar and SAA do though. I also heard the rumor that AMT was looking at Springfield, but lately the rumor is that its AMR that is interested in a Springfield agency that i wont name. All i can say is though that if you have a choice go somewhere that has a good EMS system SAMIC sucks. I got my basic training under the Peoria system and it was alot better. Samic is stuck in the dark ages, nothing is worse than transporting a severe respiratory distress patient that needs intubated and you cant do anything about it because you don't carry anything that will suppress their gag reflex.

Well since I'm kinda in the swing of things with AMT, the truth to that rumor is no, its not going to be moving to Springfield. IT was also looking at Rockford but at this point and time there is no truth behind either of those rumors. Thats not to say it wont change. I just completed my EMT-B there and asked some people about it..thats the only way I know lol!

I work part time as a medic at Abbott ambulance in St. Louis but they are also based in Illinois. We recently were bought by AMR and there are to be "big" changes. Having said that, though, you can work on ALS truck as driver after so many driving hours and map testing, etc. Good Luck in your endeavors!

From muy experiences prior to moving to Texas, in Will County you can work for an FD as a basic and get ambulance time as a basic because they go one and one. You can also run One and One on a few of the privates like Kurtz and Med Care or I think they call it Trace East now Other than that there are a few privates in Cook County that have 911 contracts where basics run. The only downside to that is you also run transfers. Those Companies are Bud's, Trace, and Vandeneberg. In Dupage county the only places I know where basics get on ambulances is private services like Superior and First Care. Hope this help a little

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.