EMT basics geting a job right out of school?

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly your best bet is to go ahead and apply to a few county services near you. While you are waiting on a reply from them, go ahead and apply for a private service in the area. Most private services are just "granny-totes" where you will pick up elderly/disabled people from nursing facilities and take them to doctor's visits. Or transfer them to other facilities. This may sound boring and repetitive, but you will definitely build your patient care skills as well as documentation and vital sign reading. Also alot of county services will look at this as a good bit of experience. Major plus here!

how old are you? that will determine a lot on who will hire you. If you are younger than 21 or 25 it might be hard to get on with some services due to insurance.

Does anyone know what companies in the Pittsburgh area will hire an EMT basic right out of school? Not picky about what kind of company I work for. Looking for the experience (and to be paid) while I continue on with more school.

Plus 5 for staying focused on the two most important factors:

• 1. Being a professional (getting paid)

1. Remaining a student

• I'm afraid I don't know anything about your area, but I wish you the best of luck!

listen bro. ill be honest. it is mighty hard to get a job right out of EMT school. unless you went to school through a hospital that has an EMS service, or something like that, honestly you can forget about getting a "strett 911" job. around here 99% of those jobs require at least a year of transport experience, if not more. Ive been in this for a few years, in a few states, which hurt me up here. I started in transport up here, and 4 years later im still in it, but now im getting job offers left and right for street, ive been doing street for 3 at 2 different, busy companies, but now im going a bunch more places. give it time, get your pt. care skills down, get your vital skills down, and network. network like your life depends on it, find people who have experience, find people who know the system in the area, and for the love of god, know your place, it sounds bad but its true. the worst thing a new emt can do it act like he knows everything, act like he knows everyone and act like he is king S**t. find the balance between being active and sitting back and learning, but, act in a manner that will stick in people's heads, so when the time does come, they will remmember how you acted in a certain situation and when they see your name on the app, it will do nothing but help. its alot to do, its a pain in the ass to be a new EMT in an area...but work through all the politics and all the BS and you will be happy you did in the long run....

Sorry for the long post...but its the truth

I agree with dust about looking for work while continuing schooling....however, in my experience I have bad bad luck with newbies on the truck with me (was out 2x on injury because my partner didn't know what they were doing).

Just be very careful out there...and keep your skills up. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.