Incident Commander Software

Has anyone used the new "Incident Commander" software from the Department of Justice? I have tried to, but it appears to be confusing and unrealistic. I really do not want to disseminate disparaging information about a useful tool if I am just not smart enough to figure this simulation out, but I will loudly disseminate my opinion if it is supported by some folks on here who have had the same experience I have.

No offense taken. That's exactly what I felt like when I played Incident Commander! I think it is a GREAT idea. Their implementation, however, is less than poor. The graphics are good, the scenarios are okay, but whoever thought of placing time constraints and resource constraints on the IC obviously does not have much knowledge of the field. Instead of requiring the player to wait for resource credits to pop up so that you can order assets, you should be allowed to order anything you want any time you want, but with consequences. Grade me AFTER the response, don't tie my hands DURING the response! I had to sit back and watch civilians die because I did not have enough credits to activate my Haz Mat branch. How dumb is that?!?!?

Ah the Incident Command System, is this the same deal that is being implemented in just about every government agency that I work with (Forestry i.e. woodland FF, SAR and ERP Oilpatch response) ? Someone is making a pile of cash with this concept.

If it is, I hear do your pain and frustration, it is quite complex system and until one gets to the ICS 400 level it (I feel) it just introduces a finger pointing system with all the multiple divisions and their state of ongoing confusion pertaining to responsibilities ...

IC SHOULD be straight up.

The Buck Stops Here type scenarios, perhaps at Katrina IF FEMA had realised EARLIER and stepped in, like "someone with actual experiance" not a silly Mayor or Govenor ....they should have been used to hand out sandwiches .... sorry rambling.

Could you provide a link to the site if possible, I don't want to be TOO premature in my opinions, yet but having to actually deal with this ICS as a "Medical Unit Officer" placed under Logistics (well until the operation becomes a Medical or Rescue in Nature) I have found just a few individuals that actually know how to apply it properly.

I have always used an old preceptors philosophy:

If you need to call the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides ..... CALL THEM and put them in the ERP in the initial plan.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.