New guy at work has no hustle

There is only one way to handle a guy like this... super-glue a non re breather to his a$$.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounded a TEENSY bit like my partner yesterday. However, I was able to deal with her airheadedness.

I've had the partners where they drag their ass on calls, and those that want to be overworked. Now I don't mind to work, but I just don't like being pushed and feel suffocated by calls. I've had partners that accept last minute calls without asking me first if it is alright, meanwhile I have an appt to get to. But back on subject...

I recommend, for anyone, to keep a log of cases in situations like this. Like Ruff said, write out the entire narrative of the situation and save it for later when needed. I keep a small journal with me to write out my concerns about situations with partners so if I need to go to management after trying to deal with the situation myself fails, I have a log of problems and when they occurred. I don't want to be the mean one on the staff, but I'm also not there to play all day.

I'm one of those that are constantly on my phone as well (I'll admit it), but it doesn't get in the way of my patient care. If I receive a phone call, I'll put it on ignore (unless its my grandmother, I ALWAYS answer just long enough to say I'm with a patient and will call her back otherwise she gets all panicky then my family home will have a patient of their own to call for a truck)

Patient care is first and foremost. There is no other reason to refute that by any person. Hell I've reported my own FTO because I was not comfortable or felt safe about his own driving.

Log it. Discuss it. Report it.

Yeah, it's too late to tell him to step up, the shift was over when you posted. In the future, when you get some slack-a$$, tell them so as soon as they do something lame, like when you see them using their phone during a call. -Unacceptable, and against company policy, not to mention crass and disrespectful to the PT.

If he/she responds to your criticism well, ease back and let them improve. Sadly, these a-holes usually don't accept criticism, hence their deplorable behavior. I had a paramedic actually yell at me when I asked that he not speed and please be more careful when driving me and a Pt. in. He went NUTS!

There, I had fulfilled my obligation to him as a partner, and it didn't go well. Next time he acted the fool, I went straight to the shift commander and they dealt with it. He di something later that also sucked and was contrary to SOP, and me and the shift CO wrote his ass up.

Who cares if they improve? -They better.

Document everything and refuse to put your lisence on the line by working with them. That usually gets admin's attn.

Its a tough situation because your issues with him are not major problems in the moment they occur, but rather they become an issue when they pile up one after another into the larger picture. It isn't helpful, I don't think, to immediately confront a guy over something like not reaching for the BP cuff himself-- but I think it would be appropriate to discuss at the end of the day how you feel about him in summary. He needs to show a little more interest in being part of a team. We work together on the rig, and unless he can show an interest and respect the rest of the crew, he is going to have a big problem here. It doesn't matter how long you guys have been in EMS. He is the preceptee and you are the preceptor. He will listen to what you have to say or he will not pass.

...And as far as sitting in the dialysis chairs while you guys stand like you should be, that is unacceptable. He should be told right then and there not to get so comfortable. It is disrespectful to the dialysis facility, to his new job, and to you.

Ok I re-read the original post and I don't think it is your responsibility to do anything more than let the guy know that you saw some things you were uncomfortable with.

That should be the end of your involvement.

Your partner who is the FTO should be the one pointing out the list of faults and then going to management. They are the FTO they are the ones that management relies on to weed out the undesirables.

Now if I misunderstood and you are an FTO then your job is to sit the guy down and say - hey here are some things you need to look at.

I know this thread has been going on for a while and the offender may or may not still be employed there but the advice stands for everyone here with a screwup of a partner.

Homey got fired yesterday. He never got on the ball and the company couldn't field an FTO that would sign him off on pt care. When he was told that he didn't make probation he cried that this was a bullshit company and all we do is milk-run dialysis calls. How could I not pass probation? This is all easy stuff, and you guys are bitches anyway.

It wasn't me, it was him. He didn't get along with anybody. Didn't want to do his job and couldn't play on the team. Good riddance, lightbulb-head.

...he cried that this was a bullshit company and all we do is milk-run dialysis calls. How could I not pass probation? This is all easy stuff, and you guys are bitches anyway.

Yep. I nailed that one in my first post. I've seen that attitude a million times, and they're all the same. It goes back to two problems. First, and foremost, EMT schools blow a tonne of smoke up student's arses, leading them to believe they are going to be hero lifesavers in 120 hours. They set them up for disappointment with that big lie, because as we all know, the great majority of them will never do any of that glorious stuff they thought they were signing up for. It should surprise nobody that they get a bad attitude after being lied to.

And second of all, anytime you set the bar as low as 120 hours, you're just asking for the majority of your applicants to be total losers who are looking only for a quick way to glory, and not a serious committment to a profession.

Get used to this guy. You will see a lot more of him and his ilk.

Transfer trucks are a great learning opportunities. I think everyone starting out needs to spend some time there.

I used the time to assess everyone I came in contact with, you name it I assessed it, from blood pressures, to bowel sounds. I got some dirty looks, and I am sure I offended a few people :o.

These people are truly Fk'ed up. Their missing body parts, organs, their on every medication known to man. They have medical histories as long as your arm. Their great learning tools. I used to talk to them about their symptoms when they came in, what they went through in their hospital stay. Its incredible how much you can learn from them. Sure its not flying by the seat of your pants emergency medicine. It however can be very useful to the new provider.

Thirteen or so years later I work solely on a 911 truck. I transport drunks and fruit loops all day. Hmmm......Real interesting. My patients usually need taxis not ambulances and psychiatrist not EMS providers. I do get sick people it just seems like their few and far between lately. You know EMS. I am over due for a real bad spell and I am not looking forward to it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.