concerns about driving

well I know im not old enough to drive an ambulance(its still 2 years away), I really dont want to. I have no desire at all to ever drive the ambulance, plus I'm really not that good with directions.

Should i just quit EMS now or is there anything I can do to help this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I know im not old enough to drive an ambulance(its still 2 years away), I really dont want to. I have no desire at all to ever drive the ambulance, plus I'm really not that good with directions.

Should i just quit EMS now or is there anything I can do to help this.

Quit? You haven't started yet. In another two years you may even find you like driving as you gain more experience in your personal vehicle.

Keep school as your priority. If EMS is in your future, start preparing in the life sciences. Build a solid educational foundation and then make your career choice.

You're probably doing more at 16 than most young people your age.

16 is a fun age. You don't have to jump just yet into a life altering decision.

Hey Ruffems, what were you doing at 16? :)

Don’t worry about it mate. I’ve driven our vehicles around a few times. We don’t drive emergency on the roads cause were only a standby service but pushing your way though 25,000 people or dodging MX bikes is pretty fun. It’s just like driving a normal car.

I’m a farm boy so I was brought up driving tractors, trucks, cars, motorbikes, paddock bashes ect.

I got to take the fire truck for a test drive last weekend… Now that’s scary!

You’ll be right champ.

i drive all the time since i live on a farm...its not driving the ambulance that bothers me its...i just dont want to, im not into going 90 with L&S

I’m not sure what it’s like in the US but in Australia your not obliged to speed. L&S is just a warning device telling people to get outta the road. Drive to the speed your comftable driving at.

Ventmedic the answer to your question - working full time at the movie theater, was volunteering at the American REd Cross as a disaster action team member, responding to house fires and disasters etc.

I was also pulling a 3.25 gpa at school and also helping take care of my grandpa who was unable to care well for himself.

did that answer your question???

And I wasn't knocking kyle, it's great he's doing this but he specifically stated he did not like driving and didnt' want to in the future. So I told him exactly what many others here would have. Get to medic school and the majority of ems systems might not require him to drive or he coudl get on with one that had an EMT as a driver.

I sincerely was not knocking Kyle.

Kyle, I hope you don't think I was slamming you? That was far from the truth.

Ruffems, My apologies. Didn't say you were knocking him.

Just wanted to know what you were doing at 16. Although, I think you too were a busy guy with a lot of responsibilities at that age. You make me feel like a slacker. Although I was also working FT, I still had alot of social priorities also. Heavy metal and disco was popular back then. 8)

This young person sounds by far more mature than most 16 y/o.

As far as driving 90 mph in an ambulance, don't get me started on that speech of mine. Speed is not the answer. Being well trained and confident in your skills will be more effective than the 2 minutes you might save getting to the hospital.

My apologies again Ruffems if I hit a nerve.

im not into going 90 with L&S

And I'm not into being driven at 90 with L&S.

You can be my partner anytime. :wink:

I agree that speed is not the answer here. Safety comes first. I too would suggest that if you don't want to drive, go to medic school and find a service that hires EMTs. They will drive you around all day and night.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.