Here I go

pcbguy

Any words of wisdom or advice for a newbie? or warnings?

Yes. In the future, please give us a subject line that actually tells us what the topic is about. We dislike teasers.

I'm a little leary of this 36 hours straight thing. But without knowing exactly what a shift consists of, activity wise, I'll withold judgement. Anyhow, you're not being really clear about this, and people are already tired of playing the guessing game. Is this hospital based ambulance that you are talking about, or what?

Assuming this is a hospital based service, I can not believe that you would be scheduled for three 12 hours shifts consecutively. I also work for a hospital based service and there are strict rules that EMS can not work more than 24 hours at any given time without a 12 hour break. This is a safety issue. Even if it's in an area with a low call volume, you are not able to get the sleep that is needed to keep you alert.

Don't do it!

I just finished Hospital Orientation and am starting this weekend. My first shift is 36 hrs. :shock:

Any words of wisdom or advice for a newbie? or warnings?

36 hours,, sounds VERY DANGEROUS,,, bring a pillow and blankie and try to get some shut eye.. or better yet,, DON'T DO IT.

I think I may try to back out of the last 12. I didn't realize my post was so confusing. My apologies.

I said I completed Hospital Orientation so I think that implies a Hospital based service. And any games going on are purely coincidental.

Thanks for the responses.

I think I may try to back out of the last 12. I didn't realize my post was so confusing. My apologies.

I said I completed Hospital Orientation so I think that implies a Hospital based service. And any games going on are purely coincidental.

Thanks for the responses.

Actually hospital orientation makes me think of a new hospital employee. It doesn't tell what kind of employee. Thanks for giving more info. Hope all goes well. If it is abusy service I really think doing 12 at a time is plenty. Where I'm at we get 2 transports per day ( of course hospital is 90 miles away ) so plenty of down time to sleep, so doing long shifts not a problem. If you are where you cannot get rest 12 hours is plenty. It's about everybodys safety. Have fun, learn a lot. Continue your education.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.