Ontario (PCP) Flight Providers: The good, the bad, and...

BEorP

I did a search about Ontario PCP flight stuff and found just this thread: http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4858

What I'm wondering about is if there are certain Northern Ontario flight providers who should be avoided when hunting for a job and if there are some that are better to work for. It seems like there are so many of them so any feedback is much appreciated.

Hey, that's my thread!

Well that thread was about a year ago, and since then I've explored the world of PCP(f). Northern Ontario Air Ambulance providers to avoid?

All of them.

Not that they are all bad, but you need to remember you'd be working for a private company, so you may from time to time find yourself at odds with the people that make financial decisions. Your best bet would be to get on with Ornge. They are a private company yes, but they spend money like the world is coming to an end.

With that being said, if you can make peace and are able to understand the fiscal needs of an aviation company, you should be able to get along fine with everybody.

If you want more specific details on any of the providers, PM me and I can fill you in on what I know.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Ornge is contracted by the MOH to provide Air Ambulance services for all of Ontario. They fulfill this obligation three ways:

1) Dedicated Service Providers - Voyageur Airways and Canadian Helicopters have a number of aircraft that are dedicated to providing 24hr air ambulance service. Altogether this makes up 10 or 11 of the aircraft (I'm not exactly sure how many helicopters are out of Toronto at this point, but I know it's more then 1.) Paramedics that work on the dedicated aircraft are employed directly by Ornge. I'm not sure about the pilots and maintenance staff.

2) Preferred Service Providers - To my knowledge, there is only one preferred provider in Ontario, and that is again Voyageur Airways. I am not entirely sure what sets these contracts apart from SOA carriers (see below)

3) Standing Offer Agreement Providers - Across the province there are a number of companies that have a standing offer to provide air ambulance service. These service providers have no obligation to be available to Ornge. Their availability for the next day is faxed to Ornge Communications the day before. These aircraft are often configured for charters, or other usages, and reconfigured for air ambulance flights. Paramedics, pilots, maintenance person ell are all employed by the air ambulance service provider.

When it comes to Critical Care Service Providers, only Toronto EMS, and Ornge employs CCPs.

Ornge also acts as the Base Hospital, so all paramedics regardless of their employer are under the medical direction of Ornge at any given time.

So to sum up, Ornge isn't the only provider of air ambulance services directly , however they do contract all of the carriers in the province, run dispatch, and act as the base hospital. Oh, and they also run PTAC.

I hope that answers your question.

Ornge is contracted by the MOH to provide Air Ambulance services for all of Ontario. They fulfill this obligation three ways:

1) Dedicated Service Providers - Voyageur Airways and Canadian Helicopters have a number of aircraft that are dedicated to providing 24hr air ambulance service. Altogether this makes up 10 or 11 of the aircraft (I'm not exactly sure how many helicopters are out of Toronto at this point, but I know it's more then 1.) Paramedics that work on the dedicated aircraft are employed directly by Ornge. I'm not sure about the pilots and maintenance staff.

2) Preferred Service Providers - To my knowledge, there is only one preferred provider in Ontario, and that is again Voyageur Airways. I am not entirely sure what sets these contracts apart from SOA carriers (see below)

3) Standing Offer Agreement Providers - Across the province there are a number of companies that have a standing offer to provide air ambulance service. These service providers have no obligation to be available to Ornge. Their availability for the next day is faxed to Ornge Communications the day before. These aircraft are often configured for charters, or other usages, and reconfigured for air ambulance flights. Paramedics, pilots, maintenance person ell are all employed by the air ambulance service provider.

When it comes to Critical Care Service Providers, only Toronto EMS, and Ornge employs CCPs.

Ornge also acts as the Base Hospital, so all paramedics regardless of their employer are under the medical direction of Ornge at any given time.

So to sum up, Ornge isn't the only provider of air ambulance services directly , however they do contract all of the carriers in the province, run dispatch, and act as the base hospital. Oh, and they also run PTAC.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks! :)

You don't want to work air, especially when you have less than a couple years of road experience. You will be a bad land medic. Seems like people out of school go to work air, then get the ACPf without ever working in a half busy service on land. Its ridiculous and shouldnt be allowed!

You don't want to work air, especially when you have less than a couple years of road experience. You will be a bad land medic. Seems like people out of school go to work air, then get the ACPf without ever working in a half busy service on land. Its ridiculous and shouldnt be allowed!

Why don't you think it should be allowed?

That is a ridiculous statement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.