Different jobs involving EMS?

Sorry to disappoint you Dust, but whether it's a nurse, medic, or emt; they get the same pay (around here anyway). I guess that doesn't say much for what they're willing to pay a school nurse.

You're not disappointing me. The school districts are disappointing me. And you illustrated why. Because if they can get somebody to do it cheaper -- regardless of competency -- then they will. Therefore, they will take pretty much any mom with a first aid card so they can spend that money on perks for the most highly paid person on staff: the football coach.

Does this scenario sound familiar? It should. It is the very same reason that rural areas use volunteers. Not because they can't afford professionals, but simply because they can.

Back to the subject at hand, there really aren't many non-EMS jobs for an EMT or medic. They are barely trained for what their primary purpose is. They darn sure aren't trained to be a jack of all trades. There are lots of jobs that would be very happy for one of their employees to also be an EMT. But they aren't EMT jobs. They are labour jobs where an EMT is simply nice to have around.

There are, of course, industrial jobs in factories and plants and oilfields for EMS personnel. Some of them are strictly medical jobs. Some want to combine you with security, where security is your primary function and medical responder is just a side duty. After all, it's not like there is constant trauma going on at any plant that isn't being shut down by OSHA. Many of them are combined jobs where you are primarily responsible for industrial safety monitoring and training, and secondarily a medical responder. Those usually pay better than the jobs that are just for an EMT. If you can get on with a good company who is willing to send you to OSHA classes, you can build up a lot of knowledge about industrial safety and a nice resume that will take you far. Safety coordinators tend to make much more than EMTs or medics. And it is something you can do long after your back and your nerves are too shot for EMS anymore.

Another little known opportunity for EMTs and medics is working for companies that send you out to do brief physical screening exams on persons applying for life insurance. Although -- like most medical jobs -- an EMT is not really adequately educated for this, many employers still hire them to do it. It's a contracting job, where you get paid by the job, drive your own car, provide your own tools (stethoscope, BP cuff, scale, vehicle, etc...) and schedule your own jobs. It's great for students, parents, and others who need flexible schedules. No benefits or career future or anything, but again, good experience with assessments and venipuncture, and perfect while attending paramedic school.

There's ER work, which is great experience. Much better than working on a transfer ambulance. Easier on the back too. What your job is will depend on what hospital you work at. At some you will be little more than an orderly. At others, you will be working dangerously close to a nursing capacity. It varies. But even the low scope of practice ER jobs are excellent exposure.

I've known medics who burned out and went into medical sales, selling medical supplies or even ambulances. Your EMS background is valuable there, but not nearly as valuable as the gift of gab and salesmanship skills and instinct. If you're a good bullshitter, medical sales is a lot more lucrative than EMS.

Just a few options. Of course, there is an entire forum of this board that is supposed to be for these discussions. You might review the existing topics there for more ideas. EMS Off The Road

You're not disappointing me. The school districts are disappointing me. And you illustrated why. Because if they can get somebody to do it cheaper -- regardless of competency -- then they will. Therefore, they will take pretty much any mom with a first aid card so they can spend that money on perks for the most highly paid person on staff: the football coach.

I hate it when you have a valid point that I can't argue. :(

There is a lot of emphasis on sports in schools, especially those small towns that have nothing else offer. But it does prove a point that it's not just EMS that's getting screwed. You sometimes have to wonder where peoples priorities are.

Dust; your 4th paragraph sums up my job description. I’ve been on this construction site for 3 years now and we have had only 9 OSHA recordable. And in this type of construction work that in it self is a remarkable accomplishment. There was a fatality just prior to my arrival here and I can only trust my ability to teach safe work habits to the employees coming on site to insure that will not happen on my watch. Now if a person wants to work in an environment that has more injuries to treat then look into shutdowns at power plants or chemical plants. They had 12 OSHA recordable in 2 weeks. The workers are pushed to complete there work and the often take very dangerous shortcuts, often the employee losing that battle and sustaining serious injury, a come-a-long hook to the face for example. The OSHA 1910 and 1926 will present great value on my resume when I complete my paramedic. Safe work practices is something we all do, some are more receptive to the philosophy than others that is why I have a job, cause it’s like the little sticker on the left side of my hard hat reads “I can’t fix stupid”.

I was watching a movie today and started to wander something... What are some of the jobs that people can do that involve, or are based around EMS?

I know you have:

Fire/Medics

Flight Medics

EMT-B, EMT-I and EMT-P

maybe there are other crossover jobs, like swat medic? dunno might be a dumb question

Dumb question??? HELL NO!!! I love this question! It lets me do some free thinking.

This will depend on whatever other qualifications you have (or willing to acquire) as well as your ability to market yourself.

*Consultant (various fields)

*All sorts of safety related jobs: Site supervisor, inspector

*Politician (some of us get a lot of experience with BSing)

*Various healthcare administration jobs

*First Aid / CPR instructor

*Sales Rep (Defibs, First Aid Supplies, pharmaceutical, ambulances, etc.)

*Private practice (Don't ask me how, but I know of one medic that does this)

*Clinical assistant (e.g. for a Dr. in private practice)

*Medical Billing

*Technical advisor for movie studio

*Writer (Bringing Out The Dead, several other published books)

*Research

*Crime-scene clean-up (I came across this article just last week)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.