Scenario-4 wheeler accident

broken

I guess they teach you these things at community college?Head trauma,NOT BY A LONG SHOT.

I was told by an EMT the second I got on the scene that I was going to hospital b and it was the law.That was a LIE.

I WAS THEN BUTCHERED BY HOSPITAL B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHAT I KNEW WOULD HAPPEN IF I WENT THERE,HENCE MY INSISTING I DIDN'T WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!My life,my choice.

I hope none of yalls life is ever put in jeopardy by some community college idiot who thinks hes a doctor!!!!!!!!

And as far as the firmonkeys,its a VOLUNTEER FD and they dont have jack for equipment,hell,they dont even get paid.

Paid or not, if they (the firemonkeys) don't have the equipment and/or know how to do their job affectively to ensure that there is no further injury to the patient, then they (firemonkeys) shouldn't respond. They are the ones that put your livelihood in jeopardy. As stated before, if all that you say is true, then I guess I would get myself a lawyer and sue all those involved. I would then take that money that I receive and seek some sort of counseling as you seem to really have anger issues aimed at EMS and hospitals in general not just the ones involved.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello broken, you found a way to get two names? This horse has been beaten to death and then some. Let it go. Leg needed to be traction splinted. MOI would make back board necessary. Were mistakes made? On your part yes because you crashed and for other reasons possibly, on the ff probably since they had not immobilized you, on the EMT's part possibly, on the hospitals part possibly. Be happy surgery went well, we are happy for you. Let it go, live and learn. Enough said on this dead post, actually to much said.

I bet youre the worst EMT around man.Like I said,they teach you LAW at community college?

Let it go hell.Ive got $300k coming from MALPRACTICE $$$(the pain I suffered,you couldnt pay me $3 million to go thru willingly!!!!) AND IM GONNA SPEND IT ALL TO MAKE SURE OTHERS RIGHTS ARE NOT VIOLATED LIKE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope these EMT's and the ambulance service they work for have $300k to cough up for lawyers bills cause I sure as hell do;)

TO ALL THOSE WHO WISH TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD!!!

Reading into what has been written by the OP, I would highly suggest no one else replies to this post to protect themselves from him suing EMTCity and it's members. I would also ask admin. to lock this thread and ban this poster.

Why would I sue EMTcity or its members replying in this thread?Theyve done me no HARM where as the EMT's who kidnapped me did......

If you want to disagree with me,thats fine.

But why name call and insinuate that I have mental problems?Thats just childish.

99% of EMT's are community college grads,not doctors.Thats a fact...Why let the truth offend you?And why think you know more about medical care than the average joe?

Why would I sue EMTcity or its members replying in this thread?Theyve done me no HARM where as the EMT's who kidnapped me did......

"My life my choice!" makes a nice bumper sticker slogan, but welcome to the real world. I don't have to take you where you want to go. There is no law anywhere in the U.S. that says I do. I have a duty to provide you with aid and transportation, and you have a right to refuse it, but if the facility you like is deemed inappropriate by my medical authority, then you're SOL. Now you can either go where I plan to take you, or you can lay there and rot in the dirt where you lay. You may have a legitimate issue with whoever supposedly "butchered" you, but I will be laughing at the $300k you waste trying to get a civil judgment for "kidnapping," because you simply have no legal precedent on your side at all.

There was no winning with you, dude. You bitch if they don't transport you where you want to go. You bitch if they don't transport you at all. You're just a chronic complainer who caught a bad break and now decides to share his misery with the rest of the world. Good luck with that. The hours may be good, but you aren't going to see the payoff you think you are. Then you'll just be more miserable.

But why name call and insinuate that I have mental problems?Thats just childish.

Head injuries and mental problems are not the same thing. And your failure to understand that is further evidence that you simply don't know what you are talking about on any level.

99% of EMT's are community college grads,not doctors.Thats a fact...

No, it's not a fact. Again, more clear cut evidence that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Ninety-nine percent of EMTs will never even finish a semester of college, much less graduate. EMT "school" (using the term very loosely) is a 120 hour first aid course, and nothing more. They're making the same money as the guy who served you your last Big Mac. What exactly did you expect from somebody with that little training, orthopaedic surgery?

Why let the truth offend you?

It is painfully obvious that you wouldn't know the "truth" if it bit you on the arse. You're making a lot of silly assumptions about medicine and the law that only somebody who watches too much television would make. It is also obvious that you don't even have a lawyer or a case, because any decent lawyer would have told you to STFU a long time ago. Do yourself a favour. Do a little research into the "truth" and get back to us. You'll be embarrassed at what an idiot you are making of yourself.

"My life my choice!" makes a nice bumper sticker slogan, but welcome to the real world. I don't have to take you where you want to go. There is no law anywhere in the U.S. that says I do. I have a duty to provide you with aid and transportation, and you have a right to refuse it, but if the facility you like is deemed inappropriate by my medical authority, then you're SOL. Now you can either go where I plan to take you, or you can lay there and rot in the dirt where you lay. You may have a legitimate issue with whoever supposedly "butchered" you, but I will be laughing at the $300k you waste trying to get a civil judgment for "kidnapping," because you simply have no legal precedent on your side at all.

There was no winning with you, dude. You bitch if they don't transport you where you want to go. You bitch if they don't transport you at all. You're just a chronic complainer who caught a bad break and now decides to share his misery with the rest of the world. Good luck with that. The hours may be good, but you aren't going to see the payoff you think you are. Then you'll just be more miserable.

Head injuries and mental problems are not the same thing. And your failure to understand that is further evidence that you simply don't know what you are talking about on any level.

No, it's not a fact. Again, more clear cut evidence that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Ninety-nine percent of EMTs will never even finish a semester of college, much less graduate. EMT "school" (using the term very loosely) is a 120 hour first aid course, and nothing more. They're making the same money as the guy who served you your last Big Mac. What exactly did you expect from somebody with that little training, orthopaedic surgery?

It is painfully obvious that you wouldn't know the "truth" if it bit you on the arse. You're making a lot of silly assumptions about medicine and the law that only somebody who watches too much television would make. It is also obvious that you don't even have a lawyer or a case, because any decent lawyer would have told you to STFU a long time ago. Do yourself a favour. Do a little research into the "truth" and get back to us. You'll be embarrassed at what an idiot you are making of yourself.

:hello1: :notworthy: =D> =D>

Very well said Dust. This is why you are so highly regarded on this site. Unlike broken who would rather make assumptions and pretend to know what he is talking about, you actually do know what you are talking about.

+1000 to Dust for the best truthfully stated bashing post ever.

Wait till the shoe is on the other foot and its you or your loved one that gets carried to the bad hospital and gets screwed up.I hope and pray it never happens to yall but what goes around does come around.

120 hour 1st aid course huh and you think you know whats best for someone?Good god,what idiots.

I will sue in court and win or run this ambulance service out of buisness with ads on telivision.PEOPLE DESERVE BETTER FROM SOMEONE WHO GETS PAID TO HELP THEM.

Im paying for the ride,ITS MY TAXI.

Wait till the shoe is on the other foot and its you or your loved one that gets carried to the bad hospital and gets screwed up.I hope and pray it never happens to yall but what goes around does come around.

120 hour 1st aid course huh and you think you know whats best for someone?Good god,what idiots.

I will sue in court and win or run this ambulance service out of buisness with ads on telivision.PEOPLE DESERVE BETTER FROM SOMEONE WHO GETS PAID TO HELP THEM.

You know, I've stayed out of this thread for a while. But now I feel that I should say something. Since you are paying for the ride, it's your taxi. If is all you wanted was a ride, a taxi is exactly what should have been called. If you want something that runs a little deeper than simply a ride to a hospital, you lose some of your discretion in where you go. That's just the way it happens. If you met trauma criteria and they brought somewhere other than a trauma center, you'd be just as quick to go after them for not bringing you to the appropriate facility. They were damned if they took you where you wanted go, and damned if you didn't. Your anger is grossly misplaced, as the facility is where your anger should lie. If you felt that strongly that you didn't want to be there, you could have signed consent of transfer forms and refused to sign the consent for surgery forms. That might well have aleviated much of your "pain and suffering."

A 120 hour course is not sufficient in the opinion of many prehospital providers. But that is the national standard for the most part. If you want to improve that system, don't waste your time, effort and money trying to run an ambulance service out of business (there will be another to replace them, probably with the same employees under a different service name...I promise), instead put your effort into lobbying to improve the minimum standard of prehospital care.

But back to your 120 hour comment, and knowing what's best...and what idiots they are.

Let's delve into some of your history here...

You're a "PADI master scuba diver trainer," that's great. It doesn't apply to your case here. I'm a diver as well. Maybe I'll give you a call if I'm looking to take some more diving classes. It has nothing to do with handling a medical emergency, especially one that's not related to diving.

You're also a "PADI medic 1st aid intructor." Now as I recall, PADI trains to the first responder level, and isn't a recognized entity for certifying someone to work in that capacity. It's a nice course to take (and I recommend all divers without at least that training to take the course), but again it doesn't apply. The EFR course is even less time than an EMT course. So where does your medical training add up to more than the EMT's 120 hour course? My math is showing that it doesn't. Just for your own refrence point. The prehospital hierarchy goes in this order from least to greatest in terms of education and capability.

1. EFR or MRT - Roughly the equivalent I believe

2. EMT-Basic

3. EMT-Intermediate 85/99

4. EMT-Paramedic

Some states have supplemental classifications that allow for modified skill sets, but as set forth by the NREMT, that's the order.

You've "worked in that profession for 5 years." That's great. There are many providers in prehospital care with well over than in experience. Most paramedics went to school for at least two years to provide the care that they do. Your experience as a diving first aid instructor is pushed aside by people with more education (and most likely experience) in their discipline.

You've "seen many stoke,heart attack,and drowning victims,at least 15." Not bad in five years...for the average person. Most professional EMS providers will probably see that in a range from a few weeks to a few months. Congratulations, your five years of experience adds up to what I might see in a typical month working for a busy city service. What exactly what was your point?

"Im no stranger in doing whats right for the patient,esp if theyre LUCID and know whats going on." While you might have your own perception (most likely ill conceived) of what's "right" for the patient, there are state written and accepted guidelines referring to mechanism of injury and where you may or may not take a patient...regardless of their wishes. You're saying this hospital has a reputation for being less than acceptable. Unfortunately, as a prehospital provider we have to look at their trauma rating for a trauma patient...not their reputation. While you get some say in where you go, the acuity of your injuries may dictate otherwise. I most likely would have taken you past that hospital to another trauma facility of your choice. That has to do with my level of training and my level of comfort managing your injuries. I'm also experienced in the field and could justify my decision...as well as not being afraid to go out of the "box" occassionaly when it's appropriate. That being said, I wouldn't fault a crew for wanting to get you to the closest trauma facility. Just so you know, had they gone by that facility and something happened to you...the first question to them would have been why they bypassed an appropriate receiving hospital to go to another. The answer that it was your choice when you met trauma criteria is not acceptable. We have a paramedic in our service that dealt with a very similar situation when taking a child to a children's hospital. The patient had a poor outcome (due to the hospital), but the paramedic was questioned by medical control and I believe attorney's as to why they chose to go past a trauma hospital with the patient. Things are not always as black and white as the common patient would like to believe.

All of that being said, let's say you're suffering from decompression sickness and you want to go to a hospital without a decompression chamber. Should the crew transport you to the hospital of your choice when they don't have the means to treat your condition? After all, you're alerty & oriented...you must know what's best regardless of their training.

Sometimes calming the patient is easier said than done. You'll find people who would have taken you to the hosptial of your choice. And you'll find people who would have followed their regionally accepted protocols and brought you to the closest trauma facility regardless of patient choice. Alert & oriented doesn't always add up to you being given your choice.

In my opinion, your anger is misplaced. The hospital (and more specifically the surgeon) is ultimately responsible for your condition. The ambulance crew did their job and met their expectations by transporting you to a higher level of care. Remember, you didn't have to consent to surgery at that facility. You could have signed the refusal AMA and requested a transfer to the facility of your choice. So who do you blame for signing the consent forms? The ambulance crew?

Shane

NREMT-P

well let's look at the legal ramifications - you lose in court which means you didn't have the proof to win in court so now you go out in public, saying that your condition or poor outcome was caused by the hospital and the surgeon.

They sue you for slander and libel and they will win because you didn't prove it in court.

you need to take em to court, I would if I was in your situation but if you lose you have to be willing to say, hey I gave it my best shot, but I just didn't have enough evidence to prove that malpractice or negligence occurred.

Or you might be able to prove it and get some money but you will never see that money based on appeals. I believe that a hospital has deeper financial pockets than you do and they can appeal for 20 years. Good luck seeing your money

I feel for you but coming here and crying about it instead of going out and doing something about your situation reeks of the "Oh poor me syndrome"

There is nothing anyone of us on this site can do for you to help you in your case. We can of course listen to you rant and rave about how terrible your care was but I will bet my next paycheck that for each bad situation or poor outcome that you can cite, the hospital and doctor can cite 20-30 positive outcomes.

so in essence I'm telling you this, stop whining on this board about how bad you were treated, how poor the education that your providers who took care of you have and get off your tail and do something about it.

I think that we've had enough of your bashing the entire industry based on your single experience.

so like I tell my son, "rub some dirt on it, walk it off" and get back in the game and do something constructive instead of crying here.