Bash BLS providers here.

spenac

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Around my little corner of the peoples republic of new jersey we have services that encourage mediocrity and are quick to chop off the head that dares to rise above the herd, if an EMT tries to increase their education they are viewed as a threat to the alleged leadership and are dealt with...

I won't mention any names, but....

Wait, I will mention names!

Glade Spring Volunteer Lifesaving Crew (Glade Spring, VA)

God forbid, you hold a certification higher than an EMT-B, and apply for active membership with them. Not one person who has them listed as their primary agency (according to VaOEMS) is certified higher than an EMT-B, and they want to keep it that way.

I won't get into the career vs volly argument here, this is about BLS providers. There is a community college not 15 minutes away from them that offers the EMT-I course (1 year) & EMT-P course (2 years), yet they're bound and determined to stay BLS.

Additionally, they've recently decided to start billing for services...AND have taken out an ad for a Paid Driver, and Paid EMT. If it's that hard to retain members (I wonder why), then disolve your organization.

Additionally...about a year ago, my wife had an allergic reaction to a new medication (she began having difficulty breathing), so she dialed 911, and these people are who showed up. Not a medic anywhere in sight, nor did they call for one from a neighboring agency, although all the other agencies around them are ALS! They transported her to a hospital 20 minutes away. When I got to the ER an hour later, I looked at the patient report from the Lifesaving Crew (oxymoron), and was livid. Oxygen was all that was administered, with 2 sets of vitals recorded, one at my house, and the other 15 min later (right before arriving at the ER).

I realize that all BLS providers aren't like this, because I sure wasn't once upon a time, as an EMT...but I've noticed alot of BLS providers these days are clueless.

I know this is a late post in this thread, but I've been down due to back problems from a work-related injury...and have surgery in a week and a 1/2, so please overlook that. This post was mainly about me venting...but the thread did read BASH BLS. :shock: