3 month paramedic course?

I have not taken an accelerated Paramedic class, but I did take the 13 day basic class in Indiana. The school that I took it at gears it classes towards people who have a medical background or people who are going to use their certification as a stepping stone towards higher education in medicine. Regardless of how many days your class is everyone is going to spend roughly the same amount of hours in training. I loved the class I was in. I have also assisted in teaching both accelerated and regular time classes in the last 5 years or so and our accelerated students have an extremely high pass rate, 98%. Our regular time classes generally have about a 90% pass rate. I belive that the accelerated format is a very acceptable form of education, It is up to the students to determine if it is the right class for them.

I have not taken an accelerated Paramedic class, but I did take the 13 day basic class in Indiana. The school that I took it at gears it classes towards people who have a medical background or people who are going to use their certification as a stepping stone towards higher education in medicine.

Well, the stepping stone theory is a lot of bull. EMT is a stepping stone to nothing "higher" than paramedic school. Either way, why would somebody who is going "higher" need less of an education?

And what "medical background" did you have at age 14 that made this accelerated class the right choice for you?

Regardless of how many days your class is everyone is going to spend roughly the same amount of hours in training.

EMT? Yes. Paramedic? No. You will not spend nearly as much time in a three month medic school as you would in a two year programme. Do the math. You can't even finish the prerequisites for a quality paramedic programme in 3 months, much less the didactic core. And it isn't nearly as much about hours as it is quality of education.

I have also assisted in teaching both accelerated and regular time classes in the last 5 years or so...

Five years or so? You've been teaching EMT school since you were fourteen years old? Yeah, sounds like a quality programme to me.

...and our accelerated students have an extremely high pass rate, 98%.

Teaching somebody how to pass a standardised test in 13 days is no big feat. Teaching them to function competently and to retain the material is a completely different matter. Send me a few of your students and let me check them out for you. :twisted:

I belive that the accelerated format is a very acceptable form of education, It is up to the students to determine if it is the right class for them.

Despite my criticism above, I do believe that this is indeed appropriate for those with serious prerequisite credentials, like a nursing or other science degree and a little life experience behind them. But it is not appropriate for somebody who thinks that, because they wanna be a doctor someday, they don't need as much education as the rest of us.

I have also assisted in teaching both accelerated and regular time classes in the last 5 years or so

You have been teaching since you were 14???? Or is your age in the profile incorrect like mine is??

Edit: Damn it, I hit send and Dust already beat me to it....scum..

Using the class as a stepping stone...

We have a lot of students who take the class to boost their standings to get into Physicians Assistant school. We also gear towards people who need the class to be safety officers in a non medical work place.

As for my age...

I am a child of an EMT-A and was raised in EMS. I started helping with practical skills exams when I was 10 or so. When I has 14 I had gain enough knowledge from watching my Father and many other EMTs and Paramedics that I respect teach, to start out helping with the skills of some of the classes.

I started out taking the the regular time class when I was 16 then switched to the accelerated format when I was 17. I have been certified for almost 2 years now and continue to teach skills to every class I can. Just because I am young does not mean that what I have to say is less important than those who are older them me. I realize that experience comes with age and I am not refuting that.

All I am asking is that until you have seen these classes in action keep an open mind...

Using the class as a stepping stone...

We have a lot of students who take the class to boost their standings to get into Physicians Assistant school. We also gear towards people who need the class to be safety officers in a non medical work place.

Again, what makes their need for quality education less than mine?

I started out taking the the regular time class when I was 16 then switched to the accelerated format when I was 17. I have been certified for almost 2 years now and continue to teach skills to every class I can. Just because I am young does not mean that what I have to say is less important than those who are older them me. I realize that experience comes with age and I am not refuting that.

It's not about age. It is about how much education you have and how long you have been practising your craft. Sitting in a classroom for the last five years does not count as practice. Until you have real, in the field emergency medical service experience, you really don't have a clue about how good your training was. That's not because you are young. That applies to anybody. You see, every EMT comes out of school convinced that their training was the best. But when you have no other EMT school to compare it to, and no field experience to put it to the test, you simply don't know anything.

All I am asking is that until you have seen these classes in action keep an open mind...

Seen them? I took one! 30 day EMT wonder class. Two weeks classroom and two weeks clinical and field. It sucked. And I've had plenty of other classes and schools to compare that experience to, as well as three decades of experience to test it. As you implied before, it is appropriate for somebody who already has medical or scientific bona fides, but not for anybody who just hopes to be a PA someday, and definitely not for anybody who expects to practise as an EMT.

I'm one of the few here who isn't hung up on age limits. And I'm not doubting that you're a sharp girl who has mastered the curriculum. You are quite well spoken and rational, and I think you probably have a lot of potential (if you're hott). But if you think you can speak authoritatively about the quality of this school -- the only school you've ever graduated from -- with no experience to validate it with, then you are kidding yourself. And trying to assert otherwise just makes you sound a little silly.

We have a paramedic program here with a very very good reputation. I believe the didactic is 3 months, maybe another month of clinicals, then 2ish months of internship.

http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS/

I visited the school, sat in for a day, am currently taking their paramedic prep course there, and I can tell it's pretty good instruction. I know it's hard to compare since I haven't been to other programs, but each and every day, we are reminded not to be cookbook medics, looking at the whole picture, etc. I've been fortunate to have pretty high quality teachers/professors all my life (on scholarships, I'm not rich) and can tell these are good instructors. The whole theme of our prep class seems to be being the best medic you can be by not just taking the easy route (O2, Saline, and transport), but really figuring out what's going on with the patient and how you can help them.

Lots of tutoring opportunities, first week of class you bring your families in, b/c they know the school will affect your life, there will be strains/divorces/distractions. Sessions on learning styles, on adult students, and so on. Point is they really care in helping you succeed and I suspect they're able to get you to understand the big picture of everything, even if it's in such a small period of time.

Just throwing that out there...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.