Katz opposes Toronto's stand on ribbons

Katz opposes Toronto's stand on ribbons

Updated at 12:41 PM

By Aldo Santin

Mayor Sam Katz said this morning that he doesn’t understand why Toronto’s mayor wants to remove yellow ribbons from Toronto’s emergency vehicles.

Katz, who was wearing a yellow ribbon pin on his suit jacket, said the yellow ribbon signifies hope for the safe return of a loved one — not support for war.

“I don’t see how anyone could have a problem with that,” Katz said. “It makes no sense.”

Katz said all City of Winnipeg emergency vehicles have had black ribbons attached to them since the terrorists attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 to honour the sacrifices made by first responders.

Katz said Winnipeg streets have been decorated with yellow ribbons in the past when Canadian troops were returning to their bases here or in Shilo, adding he’d have no objection to anyone proposing that yellow ribbons be permanently attached to civic emergency vehicles as a permanent message to Canadian troops serving overseas.

Katz said he doesn’t understand how Toronto Mayor David Miller could presume to eliminate the symbol of hope people are holding onto for the safe return of a loved one.

“I don’t believe Toronto is going in the right direction,” Katz said.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Hey, where are all the blue, pink, periwinkle, black and all the other coloured ribbons under the sun? Why just yellow ribbons? Is "winning the war on terrorism" (or whatever :-) going to free and save more lives than AIDS, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, etc., etc? What if, as a medic, I'm much more passionate on supporting Breast Cancer than the war. What if "as a city" we're bigger on supporting Breast Cancer than the war. It will surely kill many more ppl in the world than the war ever will?!?!? Speaking of which... did the city ever ask the public/taxpayer which ribbon was most appropriate to display? There are many reasons why someone might not want to support the war and possibly/therefore our troops. Hey, that's their perogative. Should the government/ambulance service, be the voice for all ppl that work within any said service (that display the ribbons) or the ppl within the city/municipality? Probably not.

Just trying to be devils advocate on this one. I personally have no beef with the ribbons. So, bring em on... all of them! :-)

...said the yellow ribbon signifies hope for the safe return of a loved one — not support for war.

“I don’t see how anyone could have a problem with that,” Katz said. “It makes no sense.”

Anybody who can't understand that simple point is an idiot with a political agenda.

Katz is usually an idiot himself, but he's correct on this one.

Now they show 'Support'

Councillors unanimously extend campaign

By ZEN RURYK, CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

tortop2.jpg

Councillor Pam McConnell walked out before the "unanimous" vote by City Hall yesterday. (Greg Henkenhaf, Sun Media)

Barraged by criticism, Mayor David Miller flip-flopped yesterday, leading a charge to allow city fire trucks and ambulances to indefinitely sport ribbon decals that signify support for Canadian troops.

Miller and 38 councillors voted unanimously at a council meeting yesterday to extend the ribbon campaign beyond September when it was to draw to a close.

In addition, Toronto's municipal politicians determined the police force should have the option of joining the campaign.

'IMPORTANT'

"I think that it's important, personally, that Canadians in every corner of this country support the men and women of the armed forces. the City of Toronto has always done that," said Miller, whose uncle served in the British and Canadian navies.

The Toronto Sun sparked a hailstorm of controversy when columnist Joe Warmington put the spotlight on plans to end the campaign.

Miller on Tuesday said that no order had been issued to remove the decals from fire trucks and ambulances yet the campaign was only to go on for one year. He expressed support for Canadian troops at the time, but refused to intervene to extend the campaign beyond September,

Miller yesterday had a change of heart and urged city council to keep the ribbons on 170 fire trucks, 147 ambulances and emergency response cars and SUVs.

"I reflected on the issue," said Miller, who stressed the importance of having the city clearly state its position.

He said the tragic deaths of the three Canadian soldiers who were killed when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in Afghanistan yesterday were the biggest factor that led to his decision to push for the extension of the campaign.

In explaining his actions, Miller said that people seemed to believe that the city was not supporting Canadian troops. "That was never the intention. I think it's more important to make that statement than worry about the timing of the campaign," Miller said.

Six councillors were not present for the vote, including Pam McConnell, who said her father died in World War II and that her nephew was hurt in Afghanistan.

McConnell stressed she supports Canada's troops, but not the war in Afghanistan.

"In order to support what I think is important to our troops -- in order to show my support for both my father, my nephew and other people who are being hurt, maimed and who have died in wars -- I left the chamber," she said. "I felt it was the most important thing that I could do and I was not going to vote against my conscience or my belief."

Spectator Lorne Hood, 67, who served in the army reserves for more than 20 years, said it would have been an insult if council members failed to approve the extension of the campaign .

I want a ribbon on ambulances that shows that I support well funded public healthcare.

Oh, also affordable daycare.

And for my support of firefighters and paramedics.

And forestry workers and construction workers.

And every other working person out there.

Because they are all heros.

But you know who aren't?

Filthy politicians who make horrible decisions then deflect critisisms of them with empty phrases, hollow platitudes and jingoism.

Hey, where are all the blue, pink, periwinkle, black and all the other coloured ribbons under the sun? Why just yellow ribbons? Is "winning the war on terrorism" (or whatever :-) going to free and save more lives than AIDS, Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, etc., etc? What if, as a medic, I'm much more passionate on supporting Breast Cancer than the war. What if "as a city" we're bigger on supporting Breast Cancer than the war. It will surely kill many more ppl in the world than the war ever will?!?!? Speaking of which... did the city ever ask the public/taxpayer which ribbon was most appropriate to display?There are many reasons why someone might not want to support the war and possibly/therefore our troops. Hey, that's their perogative. Should the government/ambulance service, be the voice for all ppl that work within any said service (that display the ribbons) or the ppl within the city/municipality? Probably not.

Just trying to be devils advocate on this one. I personally have no beef with the ribbons. So, bring em on... all of them! :-)

You make a good point about the many other causes out there, but I think supporting the troops is different because they are serving all Canadians. (Yes, on their current mission you could argue that that is not needed to keep us safe... but the troops who are fighting are not the ones who decided to go there). AIDS, breast cancer, and whatever else are good causes but not every single Canadian is actually affected by that. Every single Canadian has troops who will go fight for us though.

And I can understand not supporting the war, but there is no reason to not support the troops.

Cops to join decal display

'It means a lot to us,' wounded vet says

By JOE WARMINGTON

tornews.jpg

Toronto Police Association boss Dave Wilson places a yellow magnetic "Support Our Troops" ribbon on a cop car yesterday. The Sun is handing out 500 of the decals at our building, 333 King St. E., today. (Veronica Henri, Sun Media)

Toronto Police officers are standing with their firefighting and paramedic cousins and will also soon display Support our Troops decals, too.

In a symbolic move, Toronto Police Association (TPA) president Dave Wilson placed the first yellow magnetic ribbon on a squad car in 33 Division last night.

The troops will appreciate it, says Master Cpl. Jody Mitic, a Brampton native who is home from Afghanistan on medical leave after losing both legs from stepping on a landmine in January. "It means a lot to us," Mitic said.

The TPA and Toronto Police will eventually design their own decal but the ribbon Wilson used is one of the 500 the Toronto Sun purchased to hand out at our building today.

"We are pleased with the mayor and council's decision to extend the support decals not only past the one year but now to allow police cars as well," said Wilson, a veteran cop who is in his second term as president of the close to 8,000-member association.

His gesture of putting the decal on the car sends a message they want it to happen sooner than later. "This is a perfect opportunity for the association, the service and the board to all work together to boost morale of our fine troops."

The TPA understands there is still some protocol to be followed but Wilson said he will work with Chief Bill Blair and the political masters to ensure it happens soon.

"The association's board met yesterday and we have agreed we will pay for all the cost," he said. "It will be a great honour to do so."

It's something most agree is long overdue. The problem has been the political procedure put in place that did not allow police to display any ribbon or support decal.

In fact, prior to Wednesday there was a decision to have all of the decals removed this September from all city owned emergency vehicles -- saying it was only supposed to be a one-year support period and did not meet "certain corporate standards."

The public was outraged and pressured council to change its tune.

Publicly, police brass said they would wait until they were delivered the council's motion before moving ahead with the support ribbons but privately they are thrilled.

The association made the first move last night. "I know the vast majority of all the service, from senior command to civilian members, are 100% behind our brave men and women in the military," said Wilson. "There will always be a special bond between those who serve and protect, and these decals send the troops and their families the message from us that they are not alone."

You can congratulate him yourself at the Sun building today. Wilson will be one of many coming to a special mini-Red Friday rally we are going to have in the Toronto Sun lobby at 333 King St. E. at 1 p.m. where there will be a moment of silence to honour our war dead. You will also get a chance to meet Jody Mitic, who was told he would never walk again. You will see for yourself, they were wrong. His titanium legs are so good, he's able to drive around in his pickup truck -- now filled with support ribbons.

Come meet Julie Brown, too. The Cookstown resident is just back from working at the Tim Hortons in Kandahar. You will read more about her in my Monday column.

No matter what happened this week Toronto is unequivocally behind our troops. And the Police Association boss wanted to send that message loud and clear last night.

SUN RALLY

The first 500 people who come down to the Toronto Sun building at 333 King St. E. between 1 and 2 p.m. today will receive a yellow ribbon for free. The military will also be on hand with a banner for people to sign to send over to the troops in Afghanistan. Military wrist bands and dog tags will also be handed out. A moment of silence will be held to honour our war dead.

Cops to join decal display

By JOE WARMINGTON

Toronto Police officers are standing with their firefighting and paramedic cousins and will also soon display Support our Troops decals, too.

In a symbolic move, Toronto Police Association (TPA) president Dave Wilson placed the first yellow magnetic ribbon on a squad car in 33 Division last night.

The troops will appreciate it, says Master Cpl. Jody Mitic, a Brampton native who is home from Afghanistan on medical leave after losing both legs from stepping on a landmine in January. "It means a lot to us," Mitic said.

The TPA and Toronto Police will eventually design their own decal but the ribbon Wilson used is one of the 500 the Toronto Sun purchased to hand out at our building today.

"We are pleased with the mayor and council's decision to extend the support decals not only past the one year but now to allow police cars as well," said Wilson, a veteran cop who is in his second term as president of the close to 8,000-member association.

His gesture of putting the decal on the car sends a message they want it to happen sooner than later. "This is a perfect opportunity for the association, the service and the board to all work together to boost morale of our fine troops."

The TPA understands there is still some protocol to be followed but Wilson said he will work with Chief Bill Blair and the political masters to ensure it happens soon.

"The association's board met yesterday and we have agreed we will pay for all the cost," he said. "It will be a great honour to do so."

It's something most agree is long overdue. The problem has been the political procedure put in place that did not allow police to display any ribbon or support decal.

In fact, prior to Wednesday there was a decision to have all of the decals removed this September from all city owned emergency vehicles -- saying it was only supposed to be a one-year support period and did not meet "certain corporate standards."

The public was outraged and pressured council to change its tune.

Publicly, police brass said they would wait until they were delivered the council's motion before moving ahead with the support ribbons but privately they are thrilled.

The association made the first move last night. "I know the vast majority of all the service, from senior command to civilian members, are 100% behind our brave men and women in the military," said Wilson. "There will always be a special bond between those who serve and protect, and these decals send the troops and their families the message from us that they are not alone."

You can congratulate him yourself at the Sun building today. Wilson will be one of many coming to a special mini-Red Friday rally we are going to have in the Toronto Sun lobby at 333 King St. E. at 1 p.m. where there will be a moment of silence to honour our war dead. You will also get a chance to meet Jody Mitic, who was told he would never walk again. You will see for yourself, they were wrong. His titanium legs are so good, he's able to drive around in his pickup truck -- now filled with support ribbons.

Come meet Julie Brown, too. The Cookstown resident is just back from working at the Tim Hortons in Kandahar. You will read more about her in my Monday column.

No matter what happened this week Toronto is unequivocally behind our troops. And the Police Association boss wanted to send that message loud and clear last night.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.