NEWLY CERTIFIED EMT BASIC!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the news that I passed my state certification for my EMT B licence.

Congratulations! =D> Your state actually issues a "licence" to EMT-Bs?

I didnt take national registary i heard it was very hard.

Not at all, if you know your stuff. But if all you took away from 120 hours was a few "skills," then yeah... you're in trouble. :)

Now that Im an EMT, idk......Is it really a hard job?

Did you seriously not consider asking this question before you invested in the class? :shock:

I havent been in it long enough to know fully what to expect.....can you help me please so im not as scared..lol

I'd be scared about taking any job that I knew nothing about, much less one that is dangerous, stressful, unstable, and barely pays minimum wage. Good luck with that! :D

And don't listen to ITKU2ER. There is no such thing as a "career" as an EMT-B. It's just a job, at best, and only a hobby for most. If you want a career, get into paramedic or nursing school immediately. :wink:

Despite Dust's incessant crankiness and dour attitude :roll: , I would agree that EMT'ing is not a career. Go to nursing school... much less lifting, and very little liability in comparison to paramedic career. It is rewarding in some ways, and when it makes you happy, you can't remember why you would ever want to do anything else. On the other hand, it can sap away what is remaining of your sanity... if you let it. It's an endless balancing act that you will inevitably lose, so go learn something else, and come be a weekend whacker for fun. You won't be respected by "full time" EMS people (sic... whackers)... but hey... at least your life expectancy will be much longer then theirs! :withstupid:

Ok firs off, It is a scary job because your life can become endangered, and I do consider it a career because I have someones life in my hand and I had to go to school for a long time so about the 120 hours...I dont get that.....If you knew me, youd know that it took me almost a year to get my EMT B.......But thanks to eveyone else with the positive coments

Perhaps, then, you might like to explain just why it took you almost a year to complete your EMT-B. In most places in the US EMT class is little more than 120 hours of night school. Three hours of class (maybe) twice a week for a few weeks is all it takes. What makes your program different?

If, in fact, it really took you a year then why are you worried about the Registry test? It's not really that tough if you paid attention in class.

If your life is endangered over the course of you doing your job then you've done something terribly wrong. If you do it right from the start, then you shouldn't find yourself in a dangerous situation. And if you've still found yourself in a dangerous situation, then you obviously have failed to act accordingly to the evolving situation around you.

And you don't really have someone's life in your hand. There's very little you can do as and EMT-B that will affect the outcome of a patient.

Those last two points, taken together, pretty much negate your "this is a career" argument.

I'm with Dust. If you want a career get yourself into a reputable and accredited paramedic or nursing program. Then, and only then, can you start your career.

Good luck.

First off, congratulations on passing your state test. Now it's time to move to the next level. Start off by taking your National Registry Test. It's not that hard if you paid attention in class. Just be sure you study your medical and trauma assessment steps. Know them by heart and inside out. Next while working as an EMT-B, apply to an accredited paramedic program and keep moving forward. Don't let yourself fall into a stagnate place and remember, the key to being a professional at any job is to never stop educating yourself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.