Educational Nightmare in Alberta

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing what I do, I would predict it's more a case of immature professional judgement...a big kid wanting to play and show off for his new friends is all.

Of course I don't know anything about this guy, but I would tend to agree that this is probably the case. But even if this is the case, having no sexual intent does very little to lessen the severity of this incident. Immature and unprofessional judgement is dangerous for any medic, but especially so for an educator. Not to mention that his medical knowledge appears to be as lacking as his judgement.

There were no ectopics in any of those strips, just a sinus tach caused by being scared by somebody coming at her with paddles. I doubt there ever were any PVCs, but if there were, they probably disappeared once she realised she wasn't going to get shocked after all.

Although I could only find one topic during a quick search, I know we have had multiple discussions here about incidents of medics being killed by horseplay with defibrillators. Curiously enough, it seems like the victim is always female. WTF is that all about?

But yeah, I tend to agree. Losing his job(s) is not enough for this guy. There is no place for this sort of mentality in the medical professions. If he cannot be trusted with the health and safety of healthy students, then he certainly cannot be entrusted with the health and safety of vulnerable patients. ACP needs to give him the sack. I know some of you have contacts with them. You'd be doing us all a favour to drop a dime on him.

I get this when I follow the link:

Sorry, we were unable to locate the object requested.

Error Code: 102

So can someone tell us what happened?

:shock: They deleted the entire topic! That sucks! I didn't expect that one! I wish I had copied it now.

So basically, some 18 year old female EMT student in Edmonton goes with her instructor and five other students on an event standby. At some point, insetead of being vigilant as he is being paid to do, the instructor holes up in the back of the ambulance with three students (at least 2 of them female, if not all three), and decides to impress his young charges with his cardiological prowess. So he whips out the Lifepak and proceeds to charge the paddles shock the cot pillow a few times, telling them it is necessary to keep the defibrillator working properly. Then he applies the paddles to one female student, scaring the hell out of her, then he applies them to the girl who posted the story. He tells her she is having PVCs and acts all concerned. He starts to run a 12 lead, but discovers he has no patches for the monitor. Anyhow, so she posts four strips he ran on her and none of them show PVCs. She posted the story with a title like, "ECG practice in real life" or something, and was excited by the whole experience, not realising how inappropriate it was. She wasn't slamming the guy, but everybody else was.

IT'S BACK!!!

One of the moderators put the thread back up, but no telling how long it will stay, so read it while you can!

I have no way to save it on this computer, so if somebody can copy/paste it to MS Word or screen capture it, I would appreciate it.

But yeah, I tend to agree. Losing his job(s) is not enough for this guy. There is no place for this sort of mentality in the medical professions. If he cannot be trusted with the health and safety of healthy students, then he certainly cannot be entrusted with the health and safety of vulnerable patients. ACP needs to give him the sack. I know some of you have contacts with them. You'd be doing us all a favour to drop a dime on him.

I agree as well.

Ok so where are we NOW and what do we do about this do we as a group allow this type of INSTRUCTION to continue ?

We have heard of a "possible situation" and a possible very serious infraction of professionalism and safety, so lets not prejudge here, ok, but this sure sounds fishy to me.

IS it not up to experianced responsible Paramedics to Police ourselves..I think so! Especially when the future of more than just 2 practitioners are involved...question being: Will these students use this less than stellar 'instruction" in the future themselves..my GAWD I HOPE NOT!

It appears that the tread has been deleted by a less than outstanding/ responsible Administrator, possibly afraid of litigation ? Again I am uncertain too.....This should by all rights, be investigated by knowagable impartial individuals.... it is just the right thing to do...PERIOD, anyone disagree..??????

The logical rationale being : We ALL have heard of DEATHS in situations VERY similar... should we sit back on out asses and voice opinions based on conjecture or do we advance information to those that DO have intelligent influence on conduct ?

Unfortunately "someone" perhaps has had issues before and has fingered a likely individual perhaps a past history of this type of inappropriate behaviour? I really don't know and in hide sight this is NOT the best idea...if you catch my drift....ALL.

Bringing disrespect to a registered Member of ACoP is also a infraction as well on spec. One could be also under an investigation as well ....I digress.

Admin I request that you delete this fau pax...asap, but allow the thread to continue....just the right thing to do for EMT City a responsible website for professionals and just my opinion here, thanks YOU in Advance.

Sooo lets do the right thing.... OK.... so someone contact this GAL....forward my PM (as I am not a member of this other web sight) and I will assist to provide IMPARTIAL advice to the all parties involved.

cheers

I'd like you to qualify that statement. I know of who you are referring and can speak on his behalf.

I'd really rather we did not get into names on this topic. Who was involved is really irrelevant to this forum. It is the professional issues involved that are the important topic of discussion.

Naming names is just going to get this topic closed, and rightfully so.

Just my opionin my truely respected friend: But how can one individual speak for another ?

Lets drop this unfortunate "fau pax" by 8151 as an error in good judgement.

And my sincerest apology to the other web site, as it appears that the RIGHT choice and Correct has been made...

cheers to the moderators!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.