What the heck is happening on that west coast????

This guy needs off the street regardless of his profession or where he is. It is too bad he happens to be a FF and Paramedic.

California still has a ways to go with their state wide system problems. The other news articles are again not meant to bash the EMS workers. Other states would have not allowed offenders of any great magnitude to enter or stay in EMS. California's lax disciplinary reporting system has actually done everybody from the EMTs, Paramedics and public a disservice. Yes, the articles do create an impression with the public. But, I think they feel somebody has let something bad happen to people they trust and respect. EMS leaders can not blame newspapers for their own failings. There will be good articles coming in California after the State takes some responsibility. What they thought was a good idea in the 1960s and 70s isn't working today.

For a good headline about Paramedics; (and they kept the terms FF and Paramedic separate)

June 2, 2007

Dramatic baby rescue; Chicago paramedic revives newborn after boy was found in trash bag

By Jill Parikh, Norman Parish and Annie Sweeney

Chicago Sun Times

Copyright 2007 Chicago Sun-Times, Inc.

http://www.jems.com/medical-clinical/articles/288488/

CHICAGO — They checked hampers, even the microwave and the freezer.

As minutes ticked by like hours, the five firefighters and two paramedics couldn't find any trace of a baby believed to have been delivered not long ago in the West Side three-flat.

"You play hide-and-seek as a child but you never think it would be like this," said one of the paramedics, Angelo Tsokolas. "I just kept thinking, where can you hide a baby?"

Finally, 15 minutes into the Wednesday night search, firefighter Christopher Tolbert opened yet another closet, tossed clothes aside and started going through plastic bags. He picked up a knotted black trash bag, ripped it open and caught a glimpse of an umbilical cord.

"I was shocked to see that, and I turned it over to the paramedics."

Paramedic Gregg Bagdade immediately reached into the bag and saw a baby boy, purple but warm, lying on a towel.

For more California;

http://www.jems.com/survivability/articles/288203

Part of the article;

May 30, 2007

LAFD takes steps to improve patient medical care

By Rich Connell and Robert J. Lopez

Los Angeles Times

Copyright 2007 Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles fire officials have launched an effort to improve patient care among medics and boost compliance with state laws requiring that serious problems be reported to regulators.

In a memo last week to the department's 104 firehouses, Battalion Chief Daniel R. McCarthy alerted employees that the department has an obligation to report certain problems to regional and state authorities for investigation and possible discipline.

He cited a Times investigation earlier this month that found breakdowns in oversight of paramedics and lesser-trained emergency medical technicians in Los Angeles and statewide.

Fire departments and ambulance companies are largely responsible for identifying their own patient care failures and turning them over to regulators. But the newspaper found instances in which alleged problems were never passed on to independent regulators, even when patients died or were harmed.

McCarthy, commander of emergency medical services, wrote that the "negative focus" of the newspaper's disclosures has "created an atmosphere of suspicion" among the public.

[Again , EMS leaders can not blame newspapers for their own failings to oversee disciplinary actions and reporting]

• 2 weeks later...

I think this guy is another reason why California needs to get control over their oversight of disciplinary actions. There are alot of counties to hide and work in California. He just has to find another county with lax standards and apply for his county issued EMT certification there. If he was in any other profession (RN, RT), his license would have been at minimum suspended throughout the whole state.

http://www.jems.com/news/288995/

Bay Area EMT accused of crimes is sidelined

By Andrew McIntosh

The Sacramento Bee

Copyright 2007 McClatchy Newspapers, Inc.

All Rights Reserved

FAIRFIELD, Calif. — Solano County and San Francisco fire department officials on Thursday took separate steps to sideline a Northern California emergency medical technician who had remained on the job as an EMT-firefighter, despite his history of stalking women and a string of arrests for child sexual abuse, indecent exposure, spousal battery and vandalism.

San Francisco Fire Department Chief Joanne Hayes-White reassigned Timothy Lee Gutierrez, 39, of Fairfield, to a desk job so he will have no contact with the public.

Solano County officials have asked Gutierrez to voluntarily surrender his county-issued EMT certification card by noon Friday or they will suspend it themselves, citing a pattern of allegations of disturbing off-duty sexual and other behavior that are incompatible with his status as an emergency first responder.

More at http://www.jems.com/news/288995/

To be honest with that last story, an allegation is just that. Until he is found guilty in a court of law or there is substantial evidence, of which a mere allegation or a "string of arrests" simply do not count, there is no reason for him to lose his license or lose pay. Pending the outcome of the investigation, though, I agree with getting him off the streets.

Actually the history is not "allegation". He does have a conviction on his record. In 2001, there is conviction for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

I'm all for the "innocent until proven guilty". But, when you have very close public contact and numerous arrests involving violence or acts of child abuse on your record, I think somebody in EMS should notice before the MEDIA has to dig it up. This guy would have continued to work with the public if a newspaper hadn't asked why. He's union, he could still be suspended with pay pending outcome of the charges.

One can also plea bargain on some arrests such as spouse or even child beating and get off with an anger management class in this country.

The San Francisco Fire Department says it cannot take action because Gutierrez's certification came from another agency and because the charges against him involve off-duty activities.

http://www.sacbee.com/797/story/195436.html

http://www.emsresponder.com/online/article...p;siteSection=1

The first article was an edited version on JEMS of the original article in the SacBee. EmsResponder also ran the full article. I like to link to JEMS because they keep their links active for a long time. Newspapers tend to archive their news and the links don't work after a couple days. I may have to be more careful that I get the full story in the future from the original source.

Not condemning everyone that commits a crime. I do think we are too easy on some violent criminals and child molesters. These are not white collar paper crimes. Let some first time offenders of petty theft walk. Keep perverts who prey on children locked up regardless of their profession. I already read the "oh poor guy they're picking on him because he's an EMT and the SacBee is out to get him" on another forum. Please! This is not about political/media bashing. This is a guy that the EMS system has allowed to work because one county doesn't know what the other county is doing. This is about a guy with a conviction and several arrests involving moral turpitude . Yeah cut him some slack if he only had one brush with the law, but.... He'll be okay at the desk job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.