Any docs on here get offshore education?

On another post someone mentioned Oceaniamed.org in Samoa and (IUHS.edu) International University of the Health Sciences in St. Kitts. How many Docs on here got there medical degree from one of these sites? How many know any Docs that did?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked with a couple of medics who were in med school in Grenada in the 80's. Heard they both graduated and are practising now, but I haven't kept in touch with them so I can't say I *know* them now.

I worked with a surgery resident who was American, but attended med school in Guadalajara, and he was actually one of the sharpest in the group of residents, which surprised me.

But he had been a nurse before, so it figures. :lol:

I think it's important that we keep in mind that there are big differences in the online sites mentioned by the OP and the big carib schools...

Thanks for replys. Mainly interested in the online MD but welcome info on the island schools. Dust you said actually one of the sharpest , I guess he took it upon

himself to make the best of what he could get. Really goes for all getting education you will only get out of it what you put into it. Guess thats why some of the best come from crappy schools and some of the worst come from the best schools.

I think a big thing to understand is that a lot of people that don't make it into US allopathic medical school because of limited space, not limited ability. In 2006, there were 39k applicants for 17k spots. The average age shifts between 24 and 25 for first year med students. Bright people don't always make it into MD school.

source: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/2006summary.htm

side note: Bright people don't always make it to DO school either, but I was having trouble finding data from AACOM.

You should checkout studentdoctor.net They have lots of good info that may help. Be sure to check out the EM forum (one of the best). You can also try scutwork.com, but I don't know if they have info on foreign med schools.

In 2006, there were 39k applicants for 17k spots.

Meh... you know what they say about statistics. :roll:

You have to remember that each applicant is applying to multiple schools. Do we know for sure if they are taking this into account for their numbers, or are they counting each application as an "applicant," therefore skewing the numbers?

You have to remember that each applicant is applying to multiple schools. Do we know for sure if they are taking this into account for their numbers, or are they counting each application as an "applicant," therefore skewing the numbers?

That is the number of overall applicants. All med students apply through a centralized system (AMCAS-American Medical College Appliation Service).

The AAMC sourse is only applicants. Your concern is why I did not include information about DO students/applicants. The only information I could find were # accepted and # applied by school. This is, of course, unless anyone actually believes that 50k people are applying to be osteopaths.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.