Dispatch treating CVA with ASA

That's why our radios have this handy little button we can push and it opens the mike so that the cops can hear everything that is going on. It's what they call the panic button. Oh yeah, you want to take your radio off your belt when you use the restroom as sometimes these buttons accidently get pressed and yep the entire PD hears what's happening. Not me (thank God) but one of our male medics found this out. He still hasn't lived it down. :oops: :lol:

:fart: Oh yeah radio another reason my basics more valuable than dispatch. Thanks khanek.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am sorry you feel like you do not need dispatch. We will just put a phone in every truck and give the public those numbers. You have to answer in 3 rings. Even when on a call. And you must be nice to every person that calls no matter how stupid they are. And I hope you have a big phonebook because you will be asked for many phone numbers. No you can not tell them to hang up and dial 411.

Try it for a week.

I'm sorry your dispatch sucks. You don't have to generalize it and say all dispatch sucks. I work for one of the most professional dispatch centers in Indiana. We dispatch for 9 EMS/FD's 1 Ambulance service 2 specialty teams, and 10 Law Enforcement agencies. We are the central 911 for the county. We know how to get the job done. Not to mention most of the workers here have LE or EMS experience either first hand or through a spouse. I can't think of anyone else I would rather have dispatching me when I am on duty with the ambulance.

Well I am sorry you feel like you do not need dispatch. We will just put a phone in every truck and give the public those numbers. You have to answer in 3 rings. Even when on a call. And you must be nice to every person that calls no matter how stupid they are. And I hope you have a big phonebook because you will be asked for many phone numbers. No you can not tell them to hang up and dial 411.

Try it for a week.

I'm sorry your dispatch sucks. You don't have to generalize it and say all dispatch sucks. I work for one of the most professional dispatch centers in Indiana. We dispatch for 9 EMS/FD's 1 Ambulance service 2 specialty teams, and 10 Law Enforcement agencies. We are the central 911 for the county. We know how to get the job done. Not to mention most of the workers here have LE or EMS experience either first hand or through a spouse. I can't think of anyone else I would rather have dispatching me when I am on duty with the ambulance.

Actually we do usually talk directly to the callers. Dispatch transfers to us. If they ask for a phone number they are told not to abuse 911 and told goodbye. I do not despise dispatch but I will not say you are more valuable even than the first responder in the field. I do not envy you being stuck on the phone being unable to do anything for a person except keep them calm while you dispatch us. But remember there are others that are higher up that do not think highly of BLS or ALS. So don't feel bad all in EMS get pissed on just be glad yours is verbally on the phone we literally get pissed on vomited on etc. Wait a minute maybe I should dispatch I could just tell them no you don't need an ambulance and hang up. :twisted: :lol::lol::lol::lol: :twisted:

Wow, I never knew that this existed. Apparently to go along with ParaGods and Wanker Basics, we also have Dispatch Heroes.

Haven't you heard the song by Foreigner, Dispatch Hero?

And be a dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

He's a dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

Yeah, dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

With that one 911 phone call he'll come alive

Come alive tonight

I'm assuming that if the dispatcher told the patient to take ASA, it was part of some bigger protocol or EMD or such, in which case the dispatcher was doing exactly what they should have been and there was either a miscommunication between dispatcher and patient or there was a flaw in the flow sheet that tells them what to recommend to patient based on their chief complaint.

I'm assuming that if the dispatcher told the patient to take ASA, it was part of some bigger protocol or EMD or such, in which case the dispatcher was doing exactly what they should have been and there was either a miscommunication between dispatcher and patient or there was a flaw in the flow sheet that tells them what to recommend to patient based on their chief complaint.

This is why bad idea to treat over the phone. If it was a good idea and worked no need for any of us ambulance drivers. Just dial 911 get told what to do and take care of it yourself. Do it yourself medicine. When I owned a contracting company I made more money fixing do it yourselfers mistakes. Guess could save money and do it my self CPR, bag my self, push my own chest, clear shock :shock: . I see it now time life books do it your self emergency medicine. If only we could charge more to fix the do it yourselfers medical mistakes. :lol:

Haven't you heard the song by Foreigner, Dispatch Hero?

And be a dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

He's a dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

Yeah, dispatch hero, got stars in his eyes

With that one 911 phone call he'll come alive

Come alive tonight

Way too damn funny. I'm gonna have to sing that to my neighbor, she's a dispatcher for our county. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway Brent, no one hear ever said we didn't need dispatch, we just stated that they aren't trained to tell a patient to take ASA. Let's be serious, from the way it sounds most EMTs can't give ASA so why should some dispatcher on a phone who has no possible way to assess the patient other than him saying he has chest pain do it. Some things are given when it comes to medical situations others just aren't that easy. We depend on our dispatch to get us where we need to go and to communicate as much information to us as possible about the situation. I wouldn't expect them (or want them) to do my job just like they wouldn't expect me to do theirs (don't think I would want to either). Being a dispatcher is can be high stress job and when all hell is breaking lose it's up to them to keep the shit in order. I can guarantee that if a dispatcher in our county told a patient to take ASA or any other medication they would be out the door so fast there would be no chance for it to hit them in the ass.

Think of it this way, we in the EMS field are the most under recognized profession. We may have EMS week but it isn't on any calendar or talked about on the news. Even secretaries get their day. So it's not that we are picking on dispatchers, we are picking on EMS in general.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.