Diabetic EMT/Paramedic

AMESEMT

Oh...Dustdevil...Not to be an jerk or rude, but I have seen posts where someone posts something like you just did and the topic goes to crap. I appreciate your input and your trust in diabetics, but for asrnj77 it might not be a hobby, it might be his/her only option at the moment and really wants the experience (like me).

If that were the case, why not take an actual employer to court instead of some pointless good ol' boys club of a volly house?

I don't know where everybody gets this idea that volly experience means anything to most employers. Most employers I have ever known don't count it for anything. And many of them count it against you. Professionals just simply don't respect amateurs who degrade their profession.

Personally, I think it is terrible that this doc is doing this when NREMT, Iowa Bureau of EMS, and my endocrinologist say it is fine for me to work/drive as an EMT-B.

Whoa there, Sparky! You have written statements from the NREMT and the Iowa BEMS stating that? I'd be SHOCKED if you did. And both of those organisations would be very displeased with you putting words in their mouths.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DustDevil

I meant that the NREMT, Iowa Bureau of EMS have certified me to work as an EMT-B, thus, implying/stating through the certification process that I can work in the capacity of an EMT-B. Sorry, did not use commas like I thought I did or convey my thoughts appropriately. What do you have against volunteers? Experience is experience, granted they don't get much, but some places that is all you can get. Here in Iowa we do not have large cities everywhere and some smaller communities that is all they have. I am going to be honest with you, initially you contributed earlier something that added value to the thread, but then your next post in the thread was inflammatory. I asked for people's experience and advice in the matter, not bashing on fellow EMS workers. I see you have been here a long time (EMT City) so I am sure you have experience and hopefully some wisdom. I know I am just new to EMS and to EMT City but I have been around long enough to see who has a negative attitude and who is willing to share their experience with others in a positive light without bashing other EMS providers. So I am asking politely to either continue to contribute to this thread in a....positive manner, or move on to another thread. Thanks

DustDevil

I meant that the NREMT, Iowa Bureau of EMS have certified me to work as an EMT-B, thus, implying/stating through the certification process that I can work in the capacity of an EMT-B. Sorry, did not use commas like I thought I did or convey my thoughts appropriately. What do you have against volunteers? Experience is experience, granted they don't get much, but some places that is all you can get. Here in Iowa we do not have large cities everywhere and some smaller communities that is all they have. I am going to be honest with you, initially you contributed earlier something that added value to the thread, but then your next post in the thread was inflammatory. I asked for people's experience and advice in the matter, not bashing on fellow EMS workers. I see you have been here a long time (EMT City) so I am sure you have experience and hopefully some wisdom. I know I am just new to EMS and to EMT City but I have been around long enough to see who has a negative attitude and who is willing to share their experience with others in a positive light without bashing other EMS providers. So I am asking politely to either continue to contribute to this thread in a....positive manner, or move on to another thread. Thanks

Oh dude....you have no idea what is about to happen here.....i would bet money that dusty is typing his response right now!

I meant that the NREMT, Iowa Bureau of EMS have certified me to work as an EMT-B, thus, implying/stating through the certification process that I can work in the capacity of an EMT-B.

Ah, but that is not what you said. You specifically included the skill of driving in your previous post. Neither the NREMT nor the IBEMS have the authority to certify that. And I can guarantee you that if you ask them to state what you just now stated for them, they will deny it and ask you to cease and decist with your misquoting of them. I'm sorry if you aren't happy that you've had BS called on you, but hey... we're about reality here.

What do you have against volunteers?

Search the site. Within two minutes, you will know exactly what most professional EMS providers have against volunteers. Bottom line is that they hurt the profession in ways too numerous to count. Now, if you are a professional EMS administrator, how do you think you would feel about somebody who, through either their own stupidity, naivete', or selfishness was damaging your profession and your business?

Experience is experience, granted they don't get much, but some places that is all you can get.

No. It isn't. In medicine, bad experience is much worse than no experience at all. Most seasoned professionals will readily tell you that they would much rather have a fresh-out-of-school n00b than somebody with a couple of years of bad experience.

Here in Iowa we do not have large cities everywhere and some smaller communities that is all they have.

It's not about large and small. It's about professional and non-professional. And the reason so many smaller communities don't have professional EMS is because there are so many wankers who will do it for a hobby, saving the community money to spend on janitors, and lawn boys, and Christmas lights for city hall. Funny how people always promote volunteerism, yet sit around and whine that there are so few paying EMS jobs. DUH!

I am going to be honest with you, initially you contributed earlier something that added value to the thread, but then your next post in the thread was inflammatory.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Bro. Sometimes the truth hurts. And many times in EMS, things aren't what you thought when you decided to go to EMT school. The way to deal with reality is to confront it, not to put your head in the sand and deny it. Stick around here and you will learn what EMS is really all about. Embrace the input and advice who have been in this field from the beginning and you won't be so disappointed in the future.

A whole 34 minutes to reply? were you in the bar mate? :lol:

I was busy brewing tea, mate!

We have our bloody priorities straight over here! :lol:

DustDevil,

You are misquoting me as well, I said I misused commas to indicate my thought, which I did go back and change regarding the NREMT and Iowa Bureau of EMS. Now with regards to volunteers, you are stereotyping them. Not all volunteers are bad, just like not all professionals are good. Granted I will give you that bad experience is a negative anywhere you go but if that volunteer is smart enough they will realize that and learn why it was bad and get out of that place. You say stick around here and I will learn what ems is really about, I doubt I will learn from you right now. It is all about attitude, and how material and thoughts are presented. So far you have only had a bad attitude about things, but i will give you that you showed I made some mistakes on presenting my ideas, they did not come across as I thought they did and I thank you for that. The way you present your ideas, through your attitude make me take what you write with a grain of salt. Everyone else has been nice and showed me things not in a "I am better than you and everyone else" attitude. I do embrace input and advice from those I respect because they have shown me that same respect. Like I said, you have shown me nothing but disrespect and bad attitude. If you want me to listen to your input and advice, stop having a bad attitude, that is how you are disrespecting me. When you start doing that I will respect you in return. I hope we can conclude without me leaving not listening to what you have to say, and you thinking I am a new EMT that does not want to listen to what the paramedics have to say. Now back to the topic I originally posted on "Diabetic EMT/Paramedics" to get back on topic. If you have anything further to say, not related to this thread, PM me with it.

You are misquoting me as well, I said I misused commas to indicate my thought, which I did go back and change regarding the NREMT and Iowa Bureau of EMS.

I wasn't misquoting you. In fact, I wasn't quoting you at all. I was paraphrasing what you were trying to say, which was blatantly incorrect. Better for me to point it out to you than to try and take that story to a lawyer or the media and get publicly reamed. Not like anybody here knows who you are.

Now with regards to volunteers, you are stereotyping them. Not all volunteers are bad, just like not all professionals are good.

Wrong again. I wasn't talking about the quality of volunteers. I was referring to the concept of volunteer EMS in general. Had you kept up with the numerous discussions on this matter, you would know exactly where I and most of the seasoned professionals here stand on the matter. Yes, there are some great medics who are volunteers, and there are some shite medics who are paid. The shite paid medics hurt the profession. But ALL volunteer medics hurt the profession, no matter their competency. It's not about individual medics. It is about EMS overall.

You say stick around here and I will learn what ems is really about, I doubt I will learn from you right now. It is all about attitude, and how material and thoughts are presented. So far you have only had a bad attitude about things, but i will give you that you showed I made some mistakes on presenting my ideas, they did not come across as I thought they did and I thank you for that. The way you present your ideas, through your attitude make me take what you write with a grain of salt. Everyone else has been nice and showed me things not in a "I am better than you and everyone else" attitude. I do embrace input and advice from those I respect because they have shown me that same respect. Like I said, you have shown me nothing but disrespect and bad attitude. If you want me to listen to your input and advice, stop having a bad attitude, that is how you are disrespecting me.

Wrong again. Even you admitted earlier that my first post in this thread was constructive. And it certainly didn't display any sort of attitude. In fact, it was quite neutral in tone and strictly factual. You liked that. But now that I am saying some things you don't want to hear or admit, you want to close your eyes. Listen bro, several posts back, Akflightmedic said he didn't like old, fat partners with bad knees and bad backs. That describes me to a tee! Did you see me take it personal, get all bent out of shape, and start whining over that? No. Facts is facts, whether we like them or not.

If you're going to get your feelings hurt over semantics and turn your head from the message because you don't like the messenger, you're not long for this field anyhow. Buck up, bro. We're on your side here, or we wouldn't even be entertaining your questions.

I trust diabetics.

But I don't trust the judgement of anybody who would actually get a lawyer just to join a VOLUNTEER department.

Hobbies are too easy to come by to go to court for one. :roll:

Well with that attitude why would African Americans sue to play on a particular golf course? It's just a hobby, right? To me this is discrimination and I will challenge it when I can. I don't take something from an Agency because it is convenient for them, I think it needs to be fair. To me it is discrimination cut and dry. You may not feel that way although you acknowledge knowing good diabetic medics. Why can't they have every reasonable opportunity available to them?

As far as volunteers....in Northern Virginia over 500,000 people (2000 census) were covered by volunteers during the evening. The paid guys work daytime 12 hour and shifts and night VOLUNTEERS work 6pm to 6am. Without the volunteers people over a half million people would be up a creek. This includes Loudoun County, VA, which was ranked the wealthiest county in the United States this year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.