Unusual call ( at least for me )

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we might want to add the placement of a full body cast for the drunk who can't get up.

or full body wrapping like we saw in MASH. Remember Frank Burns the Mummy?

and for the really rambunctious drugged out stoned out of their mind, a full course of succ(sic) and intubation. that way they can get calm and we can just leave em be. Reminds me of a story of a stupid provider a number of years ago. I'll tell that story later.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like pseudo-seizure to me. I have seen this on several occasions during my 27 year career. Many times it is brought on as a result of a psychological problem. There are ways to test for faking, such as an ammonia inhalant under the nose or an attempt to insert a nasopharyngeal airway. Both of these noxious stimuli will wake a faker right up.

The thing to remember is that you should never assume that someone is faking. To do so would be unprofessional at the least and possibly negligent, which could lead to a myriad of legal problems.

As an EMS Instructor it appals me that a so called instructor would tell his or her students to start bilateral 14 ga. IV's on a stable medical patient for the practice. To quote a recent article in JEMS, "you practice on mannequins, you perform on patients."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.