Securing your narcotic keys

fiznat

You can only get to the key with your PIN number.

It is impossible to get the master key out with out breaking it. That leaves a track for auditing because they can see who has accessed the key every time. It actually seems much more secure. They are in a vault, and it is possible to track every person in and out of the vault.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Knox talks about a "federal D.E.A. two-lock rule" in their literature. Unless things have changed, there is no such rule. It's just a loosely agreed upon standard that exists in the field, not an actual rule of law that exists on the D.E.A. books. I wonder if Knox knows this and is intentionally misleading people in their literature, or if they are just ignorant.

You can only get to the key with your PIN number.

It is impossible to get the master key out with out breaking it. That leaves a track for auditing because they can see who has accessed the key every time. It actually seems much more secure. They are in a vault, and it is possible to track every person in and out of the vault.

[marq=left:b42c1e4741]OOPS!![/marq:b42c1e4741]

Fly in the ointment:

What if someone figures out someone else's PIN? Narcs are stolen, and an innocent gets jailed for the theft.

I speak as someone who's password got stolen, and some misdeeds done while away from my desk, and blamed for them, until I showed the supervisors that the terminal used was not the one I had been at, even tho my numbers were on it.

Is there any policy where you have to change your number every certian period of time? That can be very beneficial in situations like this. If every month you are changing your PIN it makes the whole situation more secure.

The specific incident I mentioned, which was accessing into the Computer Assisted Dispatch system, happened just after I HAD changed my password. (The person I suspect of doing the deed, those 20 years ago, is now one of the brass-hats!)

• 3 months later...

this is disturbing. where i work the drug box is in a cabinate and the keys are hanging from a hook in the cabinate above in plain sight. just open the cabinate above and you have the keys to the drug box cabinate and the box itself is not locked. it just has a plastic ring to break when we open it.

i understand it's very rual where i work but i think it should be more secure.

as far as individuals, most of us keep them on an individual key chain with carabiner attached to belt loop. I keep mine in the bottom pocket of my pants with NOTHING else. As far as how we keep our narcs, we are assigned out a box to correspond with our bags (we have individual bags to set up how we wish) and then they are to be in a locked compartment within the truck. However, some of our trucks have broken narc box areas, and the doors fall off, so small problem they are in the process of fixing, so we carry them in the bag with the bag section locked and the individual boxes locked. Tends to work pretty well, especially the convenience factor for taking a bag in the house, don't have to go back to the truck if something is needed or wanted. Only problem we have is our medics are pretty trusting, and are bad to leave their narcs in the truck not signing them back in....

ok everyone I am in oklahoma...

Then why does your location say Ohio?

...is there a rule of law stating you cant carrie your narcs on ya person in something like this http://www.usemc.com/StatPacks-Traverse-p/sp1032tk.htm

The laws of good taste would prohibit that. :lol:

But no, there is no federal law that would apply. I cannot speak for every state, but in Texas it is common to carry narcs on your person, although not usually ALL of your narcs, just a couple of vials in a small handgun magazine pouch or something like that. You'd have to be carrying a LOT of narcs to need a big pouch like that one. And in a civilian EMS setting, you'd immediately be ostracised as a complete and total uber wanker. However, out here, I carry all of my injectable narcs in an M-16 magazine pouch on my belt, because when I need them, I tend to need a lot of them, not just one vial.

again I am just a student right now so lets take it easy on mo lol jk

Who is "mo?" And if this "mo" is a student, I'd expect him to be able to type a few sentences utilising capital letters and proper punctuation so our eyes don't bleed trying to understand his posts. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.