Dispatched to 16 y/o F Unknown

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can save all the dramatics after the blood draw.

That's about the point your patient died. :?

That post you referenced Dust reminds me of the Hindenburg recording. OH THE HUMANITY

A little overdramatic methinks.

You mean you get a second unit if someone is getting tubed? Must be nice to have all those extra resources.

And hauling ass to the LZ is inappropriate - that makes you sound reckless - I agree that rapid transport is warranted but hauling ass to me means that you are beyond your skill level and your response HAUL ASS is a reactionary response rather than a response that is appropriate. If you haul ass and hit another car or roll your ambulance then you have bigger problems then a girl with a heart problem.

[sup:488446b4f1]*Disclaimer: EMT-B poster*[/sup:488446b4f1]

Why would you consider flying this pt? Reading the other posts, it seems like this pt is manageable on the ALS level with plenty of interventions available? Also, again basing my opinon off what I have read in this thread, if interventions do not work she will just end up crashing? Does your chopper take off with an arrest?

Mybe with lifeflight.........cabin pressure decresses and dislodges the clot in the rt atrium...............goes the to nogging and now you have a CVA and a cabbage patch...........can you post a 4 lead up here so we can see TU.

could it be that helicopters are called because the medic is overwhelmed or not comfortable with their skills and knowledge that they push these types of patients off on the helicopter crews?

I am guilty of this early in my career but you get over it.

One thing I'm wondering is do the number of helicopter calls increase due to inexperience level?

This patient does not warrant a helicopter. She warrants what most have said, either medications or cardioversion with Cardioversion being the treatment of choice.

Does a helicopter really have a place for a medical call in EMS? I know we have 2 hospitals in close proximity, so it isn't an issue where I am. I just can not see where a medical call would scream CHOPPER at you. Your local facility can not STABILIZE a cardiac pt? I don't mean treat and release, but just stabilize?

One thing I'm wondering is do the number of helicopter calls increase due to inexperience level?

In my personal experience, definitely.

I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have gotten on a scene and had to disregard the helo that the excited firemonkeys called before my arrival just because they saw a little blood, heard a little screaming, or worse yet, got all hung up on their silly MOI protocol. Victims standing on the side of the road, smoking a fag, not a scratch upon them, but their car was overturned so the firemomkeys are yelling "GET ME TWO CAREFLITES!" :roll: Not to mention all the patients like the one in this scenario who got helos called just because some over-his-head rookie freaked out. And, of course, those who call a helo just because they think it is something cool to brag to their loser buddies about. Had that helo actually made that scene with me being the senior medic, I would have looked like a complete idiot. I am quite capable of making an idiot of myself without the help of a bunch of rookie firemonkeys.

Yes, air support does have a place in medical calls. Even for your "stabilizing" treatments, if you can deliver to definitive care in a similar timeframe, why wouldn't you?

Strokes, acute MI, and surgical abdomen are just a few that will benefit. The threat of reducing atmospheric pressure enough to cause a clot to dislodge is pretty minimal based on the altitude change that most EMS aircraft will operate at.

We definitely need an update on what this patient is doing, since the discussion has gone decidedly off the rails. :D

We definitely need an update on what this patient is doing, since the discussion has gone decidedly off the rails. :D

Scenario what scenario? 8) Definitly lets get back to it.