Color blind in EMS?

Hello, I just began EMT classes and have a serious question. I am slightly color blind. In the first chapter of our book they explained that good color vision is needed...

I believe i'm what you call Protanomaly color blind, where red is slightly weaker for me to see... although I still can see red... example of difficulty is blue and purple look similar if there is only a little bit of red used in the mix.

Anyway, my question is.. will I be able to compensate for this? Or are the color variations that I need to see so slight that I will miss them?

Do not how to compensate, but many hospitals check and actually require it where one has to be able to perform diagnostic tests and read results such as hemocult slides, dip sticks for U/A , ketones, hematuria, pH level as well nitrate paper, etc.

Check with local optometrist and see if there is any new techniques, etc. if worried.

R/r 9111

I work with a guy who is colourblind. He works both ground and flight. It doesn't affect his ground job at all. It did almost prevent him from flying. I don't know how he got around it but he did.

Agree with Rid. If you're concerned, go see and optometrist or an opthamologist for an eye exam. Ask your questions there.

Good luck.

-be safe

I don't see how color blindness would be a probem to a ground EMS provider,, my 3 previous agencies did not even test for it..

It is an issue in flight progrms because if you are riding up front with the pilot, you need to see runway lights markings etc.

I don't have enough information to opine one way or another. However I can definitely see just as much of a problem for a ground medic as a flight medic.

It's not enough to notice that the patient's skin is changing colours. You need to know exactly what colour it is changing to in order to properly assess your patient.

And if you cannot fully and properly assess your patient, I would have to say that pretty well leaves you being a half-arse provider, at best, for your entire career.

Personally, I don't want any career that I cannot excel at. But that's just me. Apparently, a lot of people don't get all hung up on quality and professionalism like I do.

Not to try and discourage anyone but wouldn't being colour blind make it much more difficult to assess a number of visual s/s? My concern would be for the medics ability to do a proper patient assessment under those circumstances. Maybe there are ways around that I don't know. I've always been able to rely on my colour vision.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.