KED vs. Short Spine Board

Which do you prefer?  

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• KED
    • Short Spine Board

I think I'll start another thread on the pediatric imbolization methods, just to see once again what different people use.

Search first, cuz it's already been done. Might still be here.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we sound like the only service that carries 2 keds and a short board... the short board comes in great to write on during transit :| but it's easier for us to have that sort of thing cause we're a large service and order large quantities of things like ssid's....

i don't think i've ever even seen a short board used... and as for the keds... well i've more often seen the words "found ambulatory prior to ems arrival" then i've ever seen a ked used...

i wonder what kind of heated emotions about proper patient care that will illicit lol

... and as for the keds... well i've more often seen the words "found ambulatory prior to ems arrival" then i've ever seen a ked used...

....Does that mean you don't immobilize patients found ambulatory? or are you just refering to the KED in preticular?

....Does that mean you don't immobilize patients found ambulatory? or are you just refering to the KED in preticular?

of coarse they get immobilized... they just get longboarded... no point in anything else really...

"I'm going to put a collar on you, would you mind lying down on my stretcher please?" is heard commonly on accident scenes in some of my nearby cities...

AZCEP,

Wouldn't the size of the KED be a hinderance to providing pt. care once we arrived at the ambulance? My thinking was, being on the board would allow us easier access to perform a more detailed assessment.

Do your assessment before you decide that the patient needs to be immobilized.

I used a short board once. We got our ambulance stuck in the sand on beach and it was the only thing we had for traction. Other than that it was used for collecting dust.
Ingenius!

And yes, each of our ambulances has a KED and a short board, but I've never heard of the short board ever being used....not even sure I'd know how to use one properly.

Of course, I've never seen the KED used either, but at least I've heard a couple stories of it being used, like raising someone out of a ditch and another out of a mangled car.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.