I'm Finished . . .

NickD

Most people have said do this for about six months before moving on to the paramedic program.

Not most people here!

The prevailing wisdom of truly educated, experienced, and qualified EMS mentors is to NEVER stop your education. That means go straight from EMT to Paramedic. You wouldn't take a break between pre-med and medical school. If you're smart, you wouldn't take a break between high school and college. Similarly, it is NOT wise to take a break between EMT and medic school.

I would take no further professional advice from any idiot who told you that.

By the time you finish paramedic school, you're going to have at least two years of field experience as an EMT. Just do it.

Definitly keep going. Your used to studying, you are thinking about what you have learned, so easier to start now. The longer you lay off the harder it is to gear up again. git-r-done

While I understand what you are saying, getting right back into the school thing, most of the colleges around here require so many hours as an EMT before you can even apply to the paramedic program. In most cases this equates to a minimum of six months of service. I have the fortune of working on an ALS service an attend all CE classes the medics attend. I feel this will only make going back to school easier for me because I will now have some basic knowledge as to what is being taught. This may not be the case for everyone but it's what works for me. The other benefit is I will accumulate enough hours working that the service will help pay for my schooling. So there are benefits.

Nick,

I have been swaying to and fro about continuing with my Paramedic. I had one semester under my belt and then I had to take a leave to bring in more money to the household. I also have some health issues which were getting me down enough to make me question my abilities and whether I could even do the work anymore.

Your post has made me reconsider my options and make me more determined to go back to class next spring. Between now and then, I am going to lose the extra weight I need to so my knees don't feel like like they are going to give way (I have arthritis). I am going to take care of myself, and work hard to save some "cushion money" so I can focus on studying more and working a bit less. I am going to lose myself in my textbook. I am going to pick up where I left off.

"Whatever your age, make it work for you" is my new mantra instead of "poor pitiful me". I have done EMS for over 10 years now and have loved every moment. I am good at it and desire to learn more. I thank you for giving me reasons to keep going.

Good luck and the best of wishes in this career. We need more medics like you to keep this profession exactly what it is, a profession.

ladyemt51_2000,

Things always mean more when they are harder to attain . . .

I, and I'm sure others here, will be pulling for you!

NickD :lol:

EMT-B

So you took the two week course at UCLA? You are nuts!!!

I am over on the other side at Mt. San Antonio College.

What do you think of the school there? I was flipping through someone's (a ride-along's?) student binder I found at the station and it had all kinds of detailed information literally 100x more thorough than my class....I'd almost want to retake it, there.

Anyway, I've finally worked long enough that I can start applying to medic schools (Dust, every school I've heard of around here REQUIRES 6-months full-time 911 EMT before you're allowed to even apply)...I'm considereing Mt. SAC b/c I've heard it's EXTREMELY grueling ridiculous, which I'm all for, but I've also heard their medics come out extremely book smart, but not as good in their field skills / on the go decision making as other schools like UCLA's. What's your impression of Mt. SAC?

It's a bit hard for me compare courses being new to the field and this being my first experience with structured EMS training. Yet, I feel satisfied with what I learned when compared to what "I knew" before hand. I have read about other people's courses on boards like this and I believe the UCLA course was good in that I was exposed to more than just one "EMS" personality. I've read about the "single" instructor courses while we had several didactic instructors and more than a half dozen different skills instructors. Across the board they ranged from the crusty and around since Mother, Juggs & Speed to those who had no clue who "Johnny & Roy" were.

One Instructor was someone "Dusty" might have liked. He gave us the good and the bad about EMS and sugar coated nothing. Some of the other Instructors were more "everything's fine" types but all of them, I felt, were competent and current. A few of the skills instructors were rough around the edges, but I suppose because that's the entry level Instructor position it's to be expected.

UCLA also offers a full spectrum of other courses like Phlebotomy and ED Tech so continuing along those lines, if desired, is rather seamless. If anyone wants a peek at what's available here's UCLA's website: http://www.cpc.mednet.ucla.edu/SRRS

One thing that seems a constant, at least in basic level EMT courses, is you get out of it what you put in. We definitely had a lot of those going onto the fire department in our class who kind of coasted through. The thinking being, "If I pass, I pass, and in either case I've got to take the in-department EMT course if I get hired." It was like they were using this more as a pre-course. One thing I did hear from one of them (don’t know if it's true for sure) is when they take the fire department EMT course, they basically just stay put until they pass.

A few things I didn’t like are probably common to many basic courses. While this course is certainly a "cash cow" for UCLA it's apparent the money is going elsewhere. The hands on stuff, especially the mannequins, and things like that, were pretty beat up. On the other hand they did take advantage of the local area and we had a few MCI/triage runs done in dark and dingy alleyways around the campus. Nobody in my class is going to forget the skills instructor who popped out from behind a dumpster and pumped simulated lead into three classmates who were disregarding scene safety.

Overall, and keeping in mind my limited experience, I'd recommend the UCLA course.

And to back up Anthony, at least with all the traditional Paramedic courses I checked in California they all had a prior experience pre-requisite. There are one or two "accelerated" courses offered that just "recommend" experience but I'm not too keen on those. Of course, going out of state is always an option, and while I can certainly see the value in just charging ahead, I haven't decided on anything yet. Right now I'm leaning toward getting my feet wet with a private agency while taking an A&P course at the community college level.

On a side note, I just received a rather beautiful eight and a half by eleven inch certificate from the NREMT and I ran right out a bought a nice frame for it. I hope that doesn't make me a wanker . . . :wink:

NickD :o

EMT-B

What do you think of the school there? I was flipping through someone's (a ride-along's?) student binder I found at the station and it had all kinds of detailed information literally 100x more thorough than my class....I'd almost want to retake it, there.

Anyway, I've finally worked long enough that I can start applying to medic schools (Dust, every school I've heard of around here REQUIRES 6-months full-time 911 EMT before you're allowed to even apply)...I'm considereing Mt. SAC b/c I've heard it's EXTREMELY grueling ridiculous, which I'm all for, but I've also heard their medics come out extremely book smart, but not as good in their field skills / on the go decision making as other schools like UCLA's. What's your impression of Mt. SAC?

Just to give some ideas.

Usually the class starts off with approximately 30 people, and about 10 people made it to the last day and about 7 or 8 actually passed the class.

I believe why most people say that Mt. SAC is the hardest program around is because there are several MANDATORY PASS QUIZZES. Also, the skills test is done at the last day after the final was extremely stressful. They also try to stress you out because as stated, "It is better for you to stress now, then in the field."

Overall, a lot of book work. I felt that I was taught well with our four instructors. Also, I've heard their EMT pogram preps us for their Paramedic program...

I'm considereing Mt. SAC b/c I've heard it's EXTREMELY grueling ridiculous, which I'm all for, but I've also heard their medics come out extremely book smart, but not as good in their field skills / on the go decision making as other schools like UCLA's.

If this is indeed true, it is still the very last bit of information that I would even think of giving any thought to. If your skills suck, it is because you suck, not your school (unless they simply gave you no tube time, or the like). And skills will always get better with practice. Always. But your book smarts pretty well stop the moment you leave school, for most people. They get so caught up in their so-called skills and trying to fit into the "EMS lifestyle" that they never pick up a book again. And damn little of those silly CEU classes really cover those foundational basics. Ever see any CE classes on anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, or pathyphysiology? Nope. It's all centred around skills, assessment, and field treatment.

You have your whole career to build on your skills, and you will. But you only get one chance to lay a foundation. There is no going back. Make that your number one priority in education.