average pay type

kyle308

Ok, I'm wondering what the most commen type of pay is for an EMS servic. Is it hourly or do they usually pay by the run.

I know that the service for the county I live in is run by the sherriffs department, they cover a good sized town and several small ones, have about five runs a day and get paid $175 per run.

They had one paramedic make $80,000 last year.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

The only payment systems I've seen in south Florida are hourly or salary with some departments giving you a bonus if you run over a certain number of calls per month. Usually the private companies like AMR do this as an extra incentive because their base pay is so awful. The only bonus I've heard of for fire rescue companies is a monthly stipend for having a 2 or 4 year degree, which is an excellent idea.

Why would a full time Law Enforcement agency be doing EMS, as well as paying per call? With that many calls a full time EMS could exist, with proper billing know how. EMS does not need to be in Law Enforcement agencies, we have a hard time attempting to justify it to be in the Fire Service.

Discussing the amount of money is irrelevant. Dependent on cost of living, benefits, is essential in determining. I know of Paramedics making $32K a year and would be considered good money, and in some areas making >$75k and be considered average income. It is all dependent on your region.

R/r 911

The only payment systems I've seen in south Florida are hourly or salary with some departments giving you a bonus if you run over a certain number of calls per month.

Actually South Florida's EMS roots have their beginnings in Public Safety departments. The Police Officer and Paramedic were the same. Before County wide EMS systems and AMR, there were local FD and volunteer ambulances. Atlantic Ambulance was the paid service for much of Palm Beach and Broward Counties. This era ended for the most part in the late 1980s with the population growth.

We were also paid by the number of calls, cash collections and by the call if as a paramedic you were needed on an ALS inter hospital run.

Palm Springs, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Green Acres, North Palm Beach, Lake Park...any city that still has Public Safety in their title probably had dual trained P.O./EMT-P in their patrol cars. I have heard of a couple small towns in rural Florida that still have the public safety concept.

Palm Springs still operates as a full service public safety agency and several of their police officers also function as paramedic first responders and are cross trained in fire. Their ambulances have blue lights, meaning you could actually be pulled over by an ambulance. However, Palm Springs lost their certificate of need to transport patients. They respond to any call in their district, but the patient must be transported by an AMR unit with a Palm Springs medic on board (unless its BLS).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.