Transport priority for hypertensive emergency?

fiznat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scratrat,

???????????????The BP thing.............. Start over with the whole paramedic thing, infact go get a job more suitable for yourself, like in a barber shop or something!!!

You truely are a moron. And so is your base doctor if those are the orders he gave you. Stick to playing with hoses, and leave the life saving to the people who know what they are doing.

JPIN,

I am sorry you have waisted your time typing all of that "stuff". Wait until you are atleast a medic to argue with the big boys! I am a college student also, do I seem better now??

No. Not at all.

Yes they do. Again, you are just 100% wrong.

Yes it is, until proven otherwise. Are you saying that it would be OK to let the pressure say high if it was a hemorrhage?

I normally don't sink to the level of name calling, but you are a tool and obviously not competent. You are a danger to your pts and thankfully have a doctor to watch over you.

That is probably one of the only things you have said that even comes close to being correct, +2 for you.

You're wasting your breath....

Well Doc,

I think you are right, and I enjoyed reading your posts, they were very informative. You learn something new everyday. Again I will tell you, we do not have beta blockers in the field in our region, we must use something else to lower their BP. You can only play with whatever is in your tool box.

Having gained new knowledge and insight, the question now is even though you do not have beta blockers in the field, will you still reduce the BP with nitrates? If you have the patient for this short amount of time, are you going to aggressively reduce the BP and smile satisfactorily or are you going to provide supportive care and be able to intelligently explain why to the receiving staff if needed. Do you have to follow your protocols to the letter or can you choose not to do a treatment as long as you can explain with a reasonable cause?

Read my tag line. Just because you have the tools in your toolbox, does not mean you need to play with them. Knowing when and when not to play is what makes a great paramedic.

Let's face it, a large number of these patients are headed for the eternal care ward anyway. That does NOT mean that we should see how much fun we can have bouncing their BP up and down.

A review of any number of recent published studies will quickly illustrate the dire consequences of dropping a patient's BP too low even ONE time. We have no idea how long the patient's BP has been elevated. Does it need to be emergently treated? Doubtful. I think the risk-benefit on this one is heavily weighted toward conservative treatment.

doesn't mean we must bow down and worship

DocZilla and I will conference on this one and get back to you.

At the 2007 Symposium of EMT City Physicians (SECP), the resolution was drawn and passed. 2 in favor, one abstaining since he's in Australia.

You don't have to genuflect, just bring us food. And coffee. Lots of coffee.

'zilla

What kind, doczilla? :D I'm partial to coffee myself! Would you like doughnuts with that? Or real food? Oh, wait... I'm a college student, broke, busy and probably cleaning up the puke in Room 4 because I'm a young'n and easily nabbed for yuck duty! I'll get back to you on the coffee and food thing... after I get cleaned up... lol!

In all seriousness... y'all aren't perfect, but neither are we. :) Glad we've got senses of humor, otherwise we'd all die!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.