Baylor/Work only Weekend plans? Anyone have this?

fiznat

Some people at work have suggested that our company start offering Baylor/Weekend-Only option scheduling.

For those who dont know what that is, in general this means that employees are scheduled for 24 or 32 hours over the weekend (usually 2 12s or 2 16s on Saturday and Sunday), and paid 40 hours of straight pay. The idea is to attract employees to often hard-to-fill weekend hours by offering a premium pay schedule and reduced workdays. This is fairly common in nursing.

Talking about it around the company, the idea sounds pretty interesting. I would like to hear if anyone here is currently working this kind of schedule (or working for a company that offers it). How do you like the schedule? What kind of hours are you working? How are overtime and PTO hours calculated?

Thanks guys!

The only difference though, is the Baylor plan in nursing (as named for the Baylor Hospital in Dallas) is you work week-ends at time and a half or double time pay rate, not straight pay. Remember, unlike EMS most people (including nursing) will offer week-end differential and any thing that is over shift time (day) at a shift differential (evening & night shift diff rate) so yes, most nurses get week-end pay and anything past the daytime shift as added shift differential, when you see them on the week-ends.

I have worked the Baylor plan @ Baylor and was paid healthy, the only down fall was they did not withhold taxes.. but, I can live with that :wink: ..

I would be sure that you are not screwing your self, working all the week-ends. Sounds like management needs to re-evaluate the pay structure or personnel roster. Usually, most people rather work part time on week-ends.

We work a modified Kelly shift of 24 on 24 off for three shifts, then 4 days off straight (10 work days a month). We get paid the full 24 + overtime anything over 40 hours. This means usually at least 8 to 16 hours per pay period. Our PDO is based at 0,10 hr per working hour or basically 1 24 hr shift per pay period, so one accumulates PDO easy enough, the more you work the more days you will have off. We cap it off at little over 180 hours. Most have plenty in reserve. The problem is when taking off, you immediately loose all over time for that week. This is a Federal benefit to employers, and one has to be sure to take time during the lower hour rate to keep from loosing money.

R/r 911

I've had this type of schedule for the last 7 years. This is the first I've heard of it being called something special. :shock:

No, I don't get anything beyond the standard overtime pay after the forty hours. I work from 0800 Saturday morning to 0800 Tuesday. I can't imagine working during the week when the chief is looking over your shoulder all the time. :)

Thats interesting that some people actually get weekenend differential on top of the other Baylor benefits (working only 24 and getting paid 40, etc). I cant imagine our company would ever go for that. I've done some research on the net, found a few Baylor plan models from some nursing programs, and some of them go as far as to not offer ANY premium pay at all. ...Meaning Baylor employees get no differentials, no holiday pay, none of that.

As far as why people would want to work these shifts vs. using part-time/overtime to work weekends, this makes sense for a lot of people at our company- including myself. Working only weekends makes it MUCH easier to fill a school schedule (which is what I am interested in). Also for some people this kind of schedule would allow them to work another job, or fulfill child-care needs. Getting a full week's pay out of only 2 days of work is a pretty sweet deal, as long as you dont get screwed on your other benefits at the same time.

Anyone else?

Thats interesting that some people actually get weekenend differential on top of the other Baylor benefits (working only 24 and getting paid 40, etc). I cant imagine our company would ever go for that. I've done some research on the net, found a few Baylor plan models from some nursing programs, and some of them go as far as to not offer ANY premium pay at all. ...Meaning Baylor employees get no differentials, no holiday pay, none of that.

That is true, however; they are paying a high dollar base rate. Whenever a nurse hears "Baylor Plan" one usually knows this is a no benefit package etc.. Rather the money will be the perk and at a high rate. Baylor plan used to be called the .. "Grand Week-End".. meaning, you work the week end you get a grand! (This was the amount 10 yrs ago) When comparing 24 hours and getting paid for 40 hours at a $25-30/hr is not bad pay check.

The reason I am describing and emphasizing such, I would not call it or advertise it as a Baylor Plan, rather a routine shift on week ends and week day shifts. Personal used to the name Baylor Plan may be expecting higher pay..without the benefits.

Good luck in your services dilemma

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.