If you can type, I humbly ask for you for assistance.

tniuqs

Poll  

14 members have voted

1. 1.

• PLEASE STEP ASIDE and ALLOW A UNBIASED PROFESSIONAL TO SPEAK FOR ALL
    • PUT FORWARD A PROPOSAL THAT A MEMORIAL FOR "ALL EMERGENCY PROFESSIONALS" AS THIS WOULD BE MOST "POSITIVE" MOVE FOR SOLIDARITY FOR COMBINED SERVICES

Preamble:

Memorials to honour fallen police, firefighters, workers

CALGARY (CBC) - Manitoba's provincial government has introduced legislation that will result in the erection of memorials to peace officers, firefighters and other workers who die on the job.

The new act sets out the parameters for three non-profit foundations to raise money and erect monuments on or near the grounds of the legislative building in Winnipeg.

One monument will honour all workers who have lost their lives on the job.

"This is the first legislation of its type - giving the recognition that's due to workers that have died on the job - anywhere in this country," said Darlene Dziewit with the Manitoba Federation of Labour.

Insp. Dave Thorne of the Winnipeg Police Service said Friday a second monument to peace officers would include police, corrections and natural resources officers.

"For the memory of those who have lost their lives protecting society, and to their families who are left behind, this monument will be something tangible to remind them that their losses were not in vain," he said.

Alex Forrest, the president of the Winnipeg Firefighter Association, said the third memorial would mark the deaths of more than 70 firefighters who died in the line of duty.

But although it will be called the Winnipeg Fire-Paramedic Service, and paramedics share some of the same duties as firefighters, Forrest says paramedics would not be honoured on the firefighters' memorial.

"Why would the media assume that the paramedics would be with the firefighters?" he responded Friday to members of the media who inquired. "I think paramedics should be recognized. I am sure that there has to be some paramedics within the province of Manitoba who have died. But unfortunately if you look at the numbers, it only makes sense to put them with the rest of labour."

Firefighters and paramedics in Winnipeg have been involved for years in a bitter dispute over the amalgamation of the formerly separate services and sharing of some duties. The city wants the workers in the same union, a move that both groups have vowed to fight. Manitoba Labour Board hearings into the matter begin on April 26. The legislation creating the foundations has been given first reading. The foundations can begin raising money once it has been passed. There was no word on when the monuments would be erected.

mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

My letter of complaint:

To: pres867@aol.com

Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:46 AM

Subject: APPALLED by your recent commentary!

Sirs:

I am simply APPALLED by your recent commentary in CALGARY (CBC) News.

RE: Manitoba's provincial government has introduced legislation that will result in the erection of memorials to peace officers, firefighters and other workers who die on the job.

Quoting "Alex Forrest, the president of the Winnipeg Firefighter Association, said the third memorial would mark the deaths of more than 70 firefighters who died in the line of duty. But although it will be called the Winnipeg Fire-Paramedic Service, and paramedics share some of the same duties as firefighters, Forrest says paramedics would not be honoured on the firefighters' memorial.

"Why would the media assume that the paramedics would be with the firefighters?" he responded Friday to members of the media who inquired. "I think paramedics should be recognized. I am sure that there has to be some paramedics within the province of Manitoba who have died. But unfortunately if you look at the numbers, it only makes sense to put them with the rest of labour."

For your clarification and education I include the "Definition of a Labourer": a social class comprising those who do manual labour or work for wages; My personal view is that a firefighter job description clearly fit's into this category and far before a Paramedic (and just my personal "non public" opinion) please review the requirements and length of training programs for those that you believe you represent. If I were ever in your position I would NEVER voice my personal opinion in public to a poor attempt to bring disrespect to another group. As a Paramedic I am allowed by law to use devices and medications that are highly restricted, if I make a error this could result in an immediate death. I read 12 lead ECGs and give thrombolytic drugs exactly the same as an MD....and I am a "Labourer" by your contorted opinion, I am personally offended as well.

Your commentary reflects your ignorance of the facts, but is so inflammatory as to be obvious to myself and many members of the EMS community WORLD WIDE ( many who work BOTH sides Fire and EMS) that you should step down from your position in true disgrace. How do you believe that you could be a representative for those that voted for you to represent "ALL" workers? So please look at yourself in the mirror this morning and tell yourself that you are doing a good job to advance good working relationships within Combined Emergency services. You, I believe were voicing a personal very biased opinion that has absolutely no business in the public forum, again respectfully..... please step down, many other letters have been written to those that may have "intelligent input" as to your future.

Please feel free to respond:

Just a suggestion, perhaps your union will fund some sensitivity training or the education in the history of EMS in Canada is in order "before you speak" publicly again, well, unless it is a heartfelt apology.

FYI: EMS across Canada has lost sadly 17 dedicated members since 1995 in LODD.........cancers not included.

signed **** ******

aka squint

[align=center:d01c5125f9]pres867@aol.com[/align:d01c5125f9]

This is the public domain of the Figher Fighter Paramedic Union that Mr. Alex Forest represents and speaks for both groups "at this time" The sad part about this commentary by Mr. Forrest... if the Paramedics of Manitoba came out and belittled the Fire Services LODD the way he did.

We "EMS workers" ... it would be stuping to a level we have never done publically before and a road I hope we as professionals don't follow them down.

If anyone wishes to assist myself in an electronic letter writing campain to have this individual removed from his position....PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE ABOVE ADDRESS. This would be a good message in my humble view, my only request is that no "disrespect" be implimented, and please no "Toban's" respond, let the rest of us make a statement on your behalf, cheers and thanks all in advance.

"PLEASE STEP ASIDE and ALLOW A UNBIASED PROFESSIONAL TO SPEAK FOR ALL or PUT FORWARD A PROPOSAL THAT A MEMORIAL FOR "ALL EMERGENCY PROFESSIONALS" AS THIS WOULD BE MOST "POSITIVE" MOVE FOR SOLIDARITY FOR COMBINED SERVICES.....PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING "

cheers and squinting

Tniuqs,

A couple of points I could give you to add to your letter.

---In my neck of the woods, currently a court battle is up to its last appeal on the uniform status of EMT's and paramedics. In short, the City Council of New York, and several lower courts have ruled, and been quite clear, that they consider EMT's and paramedics in line with police and firefighters given the nature of their work, and should be recognized as such, rather than being considered simple civil workers in line with teachers and janitors. I can PM you with the specifics, if I can find them, lol.

---The old adage is "Its not how these people died that we remember them, but how they lived." Your name isn't on a memorial because of the fact that you died in a fire or were shot on duty, its because you gave your life protecting and serving others. No, the rates of line of duty deaths is not the same as firefighters or police officers, and that's a good thing, but it does happen, and when it does, its because someone selflessly gave their lives trying to help their fellow man.

That's my $.02. Let me know how your letter goes.

Thanks there Deano:

"Its not how these people died that we remember them, but how they lived."

I will not dispute this point, but is not the topic, really, the government is looking at passing a Bill in the legislature.

I could use more intelligent ammunition, so to speak. I have received correspondence in reply, unfortunately diversionary tactics and off topic information ...even a denial, that those were his words...oddly enough a reporter quoting someone out of context is liable....... in Canada.

His reply:

For one thing, that was the reporter who said that. The memorial is not a firefighter paramedic memorial it is a firefighter memorial. The paramedic profession will be honored in putting the paramedic profession with the workers memorial.

REALLY?

This only adds evidence to the fact that the initial comments were from himself, and feels that somehow (as you put it) Paramedics somehow should be lumped with with teachers and construction workers, cause if it wern't for janitors we would all be in ****!

cheers

I'm a little confused - to whom is this letter writing campaign directed? Alex Forest of the Fighter Paramedic Union directly? Or is this something you would like addressed in an editorial? In that case, you'll be better served by targeting more local media than the CBC.

Clearly Mr. Forest has made up his confused little mind regarding the role of paramedics in "protecting society", more press coverage of this arbitrary decision to not include paramedics in the same category as firefighters and peace officers might help him see things a little more clearly. Some letters to the editor of newspapers offering coverage of this would help, I'm sure.

I'm appalled myself at his response - especially considering his union is meant to REPRESENT the interests of paramedics as well as firefighters. I can't imagine how offended the paramedics of the Winnipeg Fire-Paramedic Service must be. I'd like to help, and will contact you with my response/letter - this is totally unacceptable and paramedics accross the country should be rallying to support our brothers and sisters in Winnipeg.

MEDIA NO, my letter of complaint and request for his immediate resignation was sent 1 days ago: Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:46 AM

[align=center:b54dc45442]pres867@aol.com [/align:b54dc45442]

This does not show up as a link, and it is the e-mail address for Mr. Forest ...... so send him your perspective.

Bethadone:

This is totally unacceptable and paramedics accross the country should be rallying to support our brothers and sisters in Winnipeg.

EXACTLY.

MEDIA NO, my letter of complaint and request for his immediate resignation was sent 1 days ago: Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:46 AM

So what exactly do you hope to accomplish by complaining to HIM? Do you think a bunch of angry emails are going to make him resign on his own accord? Doubtful.

Also, looking into this further I see that I was mistaken and that Forrest is President of the Winnipeg Firefighter Association and that the joint Paramedic/Firefighter union has not formed. Meaning Forrest has no incentive nor power to have paramedics recognized in a memorial. Where is the EMS side of the Winnipeg Fire/Paramedic service in all of this? This may be something for them to bring up at the Manitoba Labour Board hearings beginning on April 26. Clearly some lobbying needs to be done on their part.

I'll submit a letter to the editor to CBC and the Winnipeg Free Press, that will do a lot more good than engaging in a private battle with Mr. Forrest I think.

So what exactly do you hope to accomplish by complaining to HIM? Do you think a bunch of angry emails are going to make him resign on his own accord? Doubtful. Also, looking into this further I see that I was mistaken and that Forrest is President of the Winnipeg Firefighter Association and that the joint Paramedic/Firefighter union has not formed. Meaning Forrest has no incentive nor power to have paramedics recognized in a memorial. Where is the EMS side of the Winnipeg Fire/Paramedic service in all of this? This may be something for them to bring up at the Manitoba Labour Board hearings beginning on April 26. Clearly some lobbying needs to be done on their part. I'll submit a letter to the editor to CBC and the Winnipeg Free Press, that will do a lot more good than engaging in a private battle with Mr. Forrest I think.

I believe you are missing the entire point here, going to the media will not accomplish the goal of convincing this individual to do the right thing, that of cooperation and respect for all emergency workers. Bring it to the attention of the media and it will become a public battle. Besides the point that its "not" the Labour Board, as they have been successful in there lobbing, this concept has achieved first reading in the Manitoba Legislature....it is in the initial quote.

Thanks for your opinion and assistance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.