Frustrated Vermont EMT

Keep fighting the good fight brother. Here in Oklahoma we face the same struggles in rural ems. Ems seems to be the step child of emergency services when it comes to funding, recognition, or just a simple thank you. I have struggled with our medical director and our EMS director numerous times about becoming a more progressive service and am usually blown off as being a nuisance. I think that the people that usually end up running small rural department (the good ole' hometown boys) get wrapped up in the "This is the way we've always done it" mentality.

Please forgive me for coming off harsh, and if I misread this post, please correct me.

Is there paramedic programs available in VT? I don't understand why you would get your EMT-I and stop learning just because "the man" said so. I'm not saying that you don't try to maintain what you have, or what you are, but why not take the effort to take yourself to the next step. As in the post above me states:

"It takes effort to be progressive. Most would rather not exert themselves and prefer to coast...."

If all of the VT EMT-I's would get the next level of training, and become paramedics your fight would make more sense. You shouldn't sit around waiting for someone else to train you, and you should push (once you have a medic license) to increase the level of care that your "allowed" to provide. This will have to be done by proving your worth to the state, your medical director, and your communities that you serve. As far as "not" having the volume to keep your skills fresh.....thats what trainings are for, as well as spending time in the hospital setting if thats all you have. It's up to you the individual to continue your training, and maintain your license, cert, or whatever you have in VT. Get the training, and push for a higher level of training crossed the board..........

Again, I'm not trying to sound like a dick, so if I missed something here, please let me know. Also I will admit that I am nowhere near VT, and I am far from an expert on EMS in VT.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.