BLS Approved Meds.

briguy222

Just once I'd like to see an EMT-B admit that they are inadequately educated and experienced to be able to properly assess a patient and his need for ALS care. But honestly, I don't think I will ever see it in my lifetime. Proof positive of the danger of EMT-Bs working on emergency ambulances, and the need to eliminate that practice altogether.

I will personally admit, that when it comes to a patient needing ALS, I don't have the skills to perform that service. BUT...I'm competent enough to know when a patients condition warrants more than I am able to give them, and react accordingly.

While poor education IS a factor in this equation, let's not rule out the individual behaviors as well. First, you have the EMT-B thinking they're the next thing smoking in the medical field (can't tell me what to do, I'm an EMT and I know it all!)....then you have the CONSTANT bashing of the EMT, where they feel the NEED to have to PROVE that they are a competent health care provider for their scope of practice.

Secondly, let's not forget about those that are only in the class to get a 'title'. These are the people who's favorite expression is " Well, the book says....."

There's alot of 'generalizations' being thrown around on these forums, while those that are actually DEDICATED to patient care are knocked around with those just hunting for a new way to be 'glorified' by the general public.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I was never really trained on when to call for ALS, another reason why my EMT class sucked. I heard so many training videos end with "call for ALS if needed" or even specific scenarios where "Call for ALS" was one of the steps, but not one ever explained what is ALS criteria! How to decide to call for ALS? Even what ALS is exactly exactly other than "they're medics, they'll give the drugs, intubate, carry the monitor, IVs and that stuff".

Being a student I just took it in and assumed it would make sense in the field, trusting they were telling me what I needed to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.