Most under-"utilised" (canadian term) peice of equ

I stole this from another thread, but it seems that everyone believes tha the KED is the most ignored peice of equipment on the rig.

I disagree, I think that the scoop stretcher is the most ignored and under-utilised peice of equipment we have. In so many occasions it would cause less patient movement, and more patient comfort. I find most people don't even know how to use one properly, or when it is indicated.

What do you guys think? Any other favorite tools that you guys like that no-one else does?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! Quite an auspicious occasion for your return, Jo! Welcome back! I must say that I miss your old "underwear model" avatar photo though!

I would generally agree with you on this. However, there are an awful lot of ambulances out there that aren't even carrying scoop stretchers, unfortunately. So, while I would agree that it is the most under-utilised piece of equipment, all too often it is not "on the ambulance."

If your service is not providing both of these pieces of equipment on your trucks, your service sucks! And if your school did not only teach but emphasise the use of this equipment, your school sucks!

I don't know if there is a scoop stretcher in our county. I have never used one, school or work. I don't know if I would know when and how to use it either!

This isn't what you are looking for, but I think our ears are the least used equipment. How many EMT's have you seen go right into that patient assessment and history and miss that ONE little sentence. Only to get into the ER, treating the completely wrong thing, and be the nurses biggest joke of the day? It's happened to me, and everyone else in here too.

Now as far as ACTUAL equipment. I think we could use the chair more often. We tear up peoples houses getting the stretcher in there and such, when the stair chair with its nice big wheels (at least our stryker model) could roll right in there, and you could do the cot transfer out in the open where there is plenty of room.

What about the patient status Lights. Does ANYONE use those? The button that flashes the driver a light? GREEN YELLOW RED BLUE

They don't exist in our trucks :)

They don't exist on our ambulances either. I have seen them, but never in use. Generally, a shout to the driver to either start emergency traffic, or slow down to routine traffic will do just nicely. If they driver is doing his job correctly, his/her eyes should be on the road and in the mirrors, not on the dashboard.

I agree that the stairchair is one of the most under utilised pieces of equipment.

Oh, and the manual B/P cuff! ( one of my pet peeves )

We don't have NIBP, so I would say manual BPs is one of our MOST used pieces of equipment. :)
I'm shocked! :shock: The great Ontario EMS doesn't have NIBP?

J/K akroeze. A great tool to have. Between NIBP, the geezer squeezer and cpap, codes are a breeze now. ( if only it were true )

I really like what Brentoli said about ears - so true! I would add eyes and noses, too, and by extension, our brains! Definitely a vital and underused piece of "equipment"!

I've never been without a scoop or a stairchair - can't imagine not having them. Never seen the patient status lights, though. My vote goes with the KED. So many people around here are averse to using them, mostly for their own convenience (such as lunch not getting cold!). Ridiculous. By the time some responders half-arse immobilize a seated trauma patient, they could have properly placed a KED and done it right.

About 2 weeks ago, I saw a patient from an MVC, seated upon arrival who was not KED'd. C/O neck/back pain. You all know the manipulation required to move a seated patient from a vehicle to a board to the stretcher. Well, this patient had fractures of C-1 and C-5. Fortunately, the fractures were stable, and patient experienced no compromise. LUCKY, LUCKY patient! But what if.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.