EVOC

Hi Folks! I'm curious how many of you took, are taking, or are teaching courses at the EMTB-P level that include EVOC. I recently completed a Paramedic Degree program that did not include EVOC. However, I am finding that some (very few, actually) employers require it as a prerequisite for employment. Seems like a relatively short and easy component to squeeze into courses that last a year or longer like most degree level Paramedic training. Weigh in!!!

in ny there isnt a pre-req to be an EMT-b before emt-p however it is almost every schools pre-req you must be a emt-b before emt-p and inorder to work as a emt-b you need EVOC ..

if you can follow that

i mean inorder to work as a B you need to have EVOC and you need to be a B before you can go to P school

The paramedic programs used to require a 16 week EVOC course when I attended, but they have did away with it. The reason is most employers provide it now, and one will use the emergency vehicle they are used to.

R/r 911

in ny there isnt a pre-req to be an EMT-b before emt-p however it is almost every schools pre-req you must be a emt-b before emt-p and inorder to work as a emt-b you need EVOC ..

if you can follow that

i mean inorder to work as a B you need to have EVOC and you need to be a B before you can go to P school

My basic class didn't include EVOC and the closest thing my company has to EVOC besides driving the ambulances around a parking lot once a year (backing exercise and a really poorly done mock code 3 intersection once a year) is a talk during orientation. There is no guarentee of a code 3 transport during driver training either.

My basic class didn't include EVOC and the closest thing my company has to EVOC besides driving the ambulances around a parking lot once a year (backing exercise and a really poorly done mock code 3 intersection once a year) is a talk during orientation. There is no guarentee of a code 3 transport during driver training either.

no my basic class didnt either, but my basic employer gave it.

sorry for being confusing :

EVOC may be required by some employers to satisfy insurance company requirements or reduce premiums, yet others feel that it just good to have.

I don't know of any EMT or Paramedic courses that include EVOC, usually it is a separate class given by your employer.

As for it being required for employment, if they require it, shouldn't they provide it.????????? Unless they know of a private vendor that they can send you to to get it on your own.. I would check with the companies that you are applying to for details.

Former

Where I am from in VA we have to take it as an extra class. It is given through the fire services programs or the VARS. I took it from the fire service which I can drive class 1 2 and 3 vechicles. As former mentioned you can ask your employer if they dont provide it you can check wiht the local EMS board or fire services to find a class.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get an EVOC class either. In fact I asked my instructor and the basic instructor where I could take the course and why it wasn't included in any of our classes. The answer no one knew why.

I found out the hard way about the EVOC test. I had never heard of it untill I got hired to work for a local EMS service near my home. I was told I had to pass it after we began orientation. The class was given the 2nd day of orientation and on the third day we drove. I had a hard time with the practice driving, was told there was no way I could pass the driving test and unceremonisly fired from the company. In fact they told me to get my things and get off the property. So including this course would be helpful!