I may have to delay starting classes :(

Well, at this point, all I have left to do is wait for orientation in July, and classes begin in August. I'll have Anatomy & Physiology I, EMT-Basic, and Emergency Vehicles and EMS Communications. There is also a computer course scheduled, but I've taken it already, and am just waiting to find out if the credit will transfer.

The monkey in the works is that Kaplan University says I still owe them $600 in tuition, and until it's paid, I can't get my transcripts. No transcripts, no financial aid here. I'm not certain just how I'm owing any money, given that I had enough in student loans to cover my tution and books completely. So I'll have to call and try to get it sorted out, hopefully in my favor. If not, then I need to come up with $600 QUICKLY so that I can be sure of financial aid for this fall. If not, it's going to put me back a year, because EMT Basic for academic credit is apparently only held in the fall semester.

Paul says that if I have to delay starting EMS specific courses for a year that it won't be a big deal, we can pay for me to take A&P and a couple other general courses until we can straighten out my transcripts. It would allow me to focus on the EMS classes when I'm there, one or two less classes to worry about.

***Phone call, brb***

Paul just called, and he asked how things are going. I said that I was just trying to figure out how we can come up with the money to pay Kaplan, and he said we may have to wait until next year to pay them off (we're also trying to get his car fixed right now and need about $1,000 for that). So I may not be able to take the EMS courses this fall.

THEN Paul said that he had thought of a couple other things I need to keep in mind about starting school next fall. 1) Gracie won't be in school full time. She'll be in HeadStart, and there is no after-school care. We'd have to make sure that not only can Aunt Angie watch Gracie, but that we can pay Aunt Angie.

2) Paul is up for transfer in April of 2008, and there is no guarantee that we will be able to stay here. We were allowed the mutual transfer that brought us home to NC because of Megan's special needs, but it might not keep us here because of Megan no longer being considered autistic.

SO, is it in my best interest to start this program when I may not be able to finish it here? When we can possibly end up somewhere that does not have an EMS Associate's Degree program? While I could do continuing education, I want the degree. Do I want to stay here with the kids, depending on where he gets orders to, and be alone with four kids and in school full time?

DARN IT! :lol:

I hope you can work it out and get started. You may need to look at www.techproservices.net as an option. Great course if you're motivated. Tougher course than many on campus programs I've seen.

For those that disagree with online education, not going to fight with you. :) Some of the ones that disagree with online education for EMS have been in favor of online for nursing, makes no sense. I say if you find a course that provides great eduction for your method of learning take it and ignore the haters. :banghead:

I dunno who this "Paul" person is, but forget about him. :?

Anyhow, you should have ALL of your sciences (and preferably all the other support courses too) done before you start paramedic school. You should have a MINIMUM of A&P I and II done before you even start EMT school. Focus on that for now.

Then get EMT school done wherever is feasible and convenient for you, regardless of credit status. Personally, I think EMT school for college credit is a joke anyhow. That's three or four college credit hours that would be MUCH better spent on something of substance like Microbiology, Physics, Statistics, Child or Abnormal Psychology, Sociology, etc...

Then you will be not only eligible, but well prepared for medic school, no matter where you take it.

Good luck!