Heart problems kill many firefighters while on duty

He was outside, running the pump.

Don't assume you know the situation.

I didn't assume that I know the situation, but if you do, perhaps you could describe how he had any trace of cyanide in his system? What was the causal factor (source)?

I hung up my fire gear at the ripe old age of 35.

It is a young man's game.

THe fire service needs yearly physicals and stringent on scene rehab and recovery protocols.

THe amazing thing is the fire service is big enough to have a stair step system of responders, let the young guys handle the entry, hose and ladder work and leave the extrication and support activities to the old farts.

I am a volunteer FF myself and am very overweight at 335 pounds. I am also about to become certified as an NREMT-B and I am trying to work on getting myself in better shape. I rarely consume alcohol and have never smoked in my life other than second hand, which has not happened too much in the last 7 years since my dad passed away (31 year smoker) from a stroke at 45 (he was also around the same weight I am now). This past december, I went through a two-day mandatory FF safety and survival course. I got through it fairly well, but I know my weight bogged me down.

As soon as I can afford it, I plan to start a comprehensive diet and exercise regimen. I have done all the research and have decided that a low-carb lifestyle is the best route for me to go. I don't buy the notion that our bodies need carbs to live on any longer. Eating fat does NOT make you fat. Excess carb consumption does and I am proof of it.

EMTs are supposed to be good examples of health, but I can't tell you enough how that is mostly not the case. Plenty of them smoke and eat the wrong foods though not every one of them shows it in their appearance. I'm just going to try and do better for myself.

Plus 5 for an honest, intelligent, quality post.

:thumbright:

I am, however, a little confused about what you mean by being able to "afford" it. It costs more to eat less? :?

Plus 5 for an honest, intelligent, quality post.

:thumbright:

I am, however, a little confused about what you mean by being able to "afford" it. It costs more to eat less? :?

Actually it does...Bread and pasta are cheap, cheap, cheap...Aged cheese and meat and veggies...not as much. But it's a small price to pay!

Don't talk about it anymore Jeff...Don't think about it anymore...do it!! I lost 80 lbs on the controlled carbs diet (the politically correct term now), and an article publishe in the NEJM claims it is as healthy as the promoters claim! (my paraphrase, not a direct quote of course) Though I do suggest you read the Atkins book first if you haven't done so...

Good luck buddy...

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.