EMT- Professional Liability Insurance Yes or No?

Pro_EMT

EMT- Professional Liability Insurance Yes or No?  

4 members have voted

1. 1.

• No
    • Yes
    • Insurance Company Is Not Taken My $$

I posted this in BLS care to but i got to many opinions and not enough facts

I am a volunteer EMT with 2 years experience and going to go paid once my school work lets up. However I was reading an article that explained why getting your own personal insurance is good. They explained that your squads insurance is going to look into the best interest or there company before the defend you.

Here is what i found for EMT insurance quotes (HPSO.COM)

1)

State: NJ

Profession: EMT-B & P

Employment Status: Employed Part Time

Limits of Liability: 1,000,000 / 3,000,000

Recent Graduate: No

Annual Premium: $100

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $101.75

------------------------------------------------------------

2)

Profession: EMT-B & I

Employment Status: Employed Full Time

Annual Premium: $145

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $147.54

3)

Profession: EMS-Student/Volunteer

Employment Status: Employed Part Time & Part Time

Annual Premium: $75

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $76.31

The rates are cheap for volunteers however I may have to see the restriction and better off going with the Paid non volunteer EMT insurance due to the fact i would like to go paid.

Any input or advice would be help full

I look at it this way. The insurance is short money when compaired to the protection it gives you. I didn't carry any before I went to medic school but chose to keep it after. This way I am covered by the town I work for when I'm on duty and by HPSO. It's just an additional safety net and gives me some piece of mind.

I don't know the laws in NJ but you may want to look into place a "Declaration of Homestead" on your property. This helps protect your property from being taken.

no offense but you did get some good facts from several. Why not post a reply to all the opinions on the first thread, saying, I need more facts and not opinions. Posting the same exact question in a different forum here is like repeating yourself. Everyone here reads almost every post that is out there when they get on the boards and to see your question a second time saying all you got were opinions is unfair.

Do you need professional liability insurance - maybe but you won't know until you need it.

Should you shell out the 200 or so bucks to get professional liability insurance - if it is in your financial means YES do it but if you cannot afford it I believe that necessities come first.

Just what facts are you wanting. There were several people who replied to your post with good facts but this is a gut issue and a gut decision. If you think you need the insurance then get it.

I told you that I have never had it and it's never been needed.

Anyone can sue you at any time. That's our wonderful legal system. So like I said as well as many other said on your first post, get it if you can afford it.

What other facts do you need?