Ultrascope or DRG stethoscope for partial hearing loss

I tried searching for information first but came up empty.

I am a new student and am looking for a new scope. I have partial hearing loss and chronic tinnitus. This prevents me from functioning the same way as many others. As such cheap scopes do nothing for me. I have heard great things about the Ultrascope and DRG puretone scopes. I was able to listen with an ultrascope last week and was quite impressed. The breath sounds were loud and clear through a shirt. I could still hear considerable outside noise though. I fear that on scene or in an ambulance i will not be able to hear what I need to. The idea of external noise reduction with the DRG scope intrigues me a great deal but I have not been able to try it.

I ask if any of you have experience with both. Please feel free to give me any insights you may have; especially if you or someone you know has hearing loss and/or tinnitus. I know many of you love your littmanns but they are out of the question for me. I am mostly interested in the two above scopes.

Thanks a lot.

I have both scopes. the Ultrascope is a great scope for in the house. The DRG puretone is awsome in the truck. I have tried many different scopes and none have beaten the DRG for sound quality in the back of a truck. The gel ear pieces and the spiral core in the hose, really help keep outside noises out.

*this info is only my personal opinion and does not represent any external agencies* (end of infomercial intro :D )

There are a lot of options in buying an amplified or electronic stethoscope. First, I have had a chance to demo one specifically that I personally was not sold on the Cardionics E-Scope. It is expensive and didn't have that great of sound quality as far as I was concerned. Also, the scope has a fast turn off time, around 2 seconds and must be touched to reactivate, which could end up being a pain. The battery contacts were also quite loose in the unit making it intermittent.

I have not personally had a chance to demo many other amplified stethoscopes so I can't offer specific brand advice but there are also a few modifications you may wish to also try. First, a custom set of earmolds, (generally made in an ear,nose, throat clinic- or by an audiologist) can go a long way in helping to get a higher intensity of the scope's sound delivered directly to your ear canals as well as the snug fit helping to keep external stimuli out of the external auditory canals. It may also be of benefit to be sure you buy a scope with a thicker covering on the outside, serving to help protect from sound leakage and interference with the signal from outside sources.

Here is a link to an excellent resource with some tips for purchasing a new amplified stethoscope:

http://www.amphl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=81

Not knowing the type, severity, and configuration of your hearing loss it is hard to recommend an appropriate product. You may also want to look at the scope's specs and determine where the amplification is in the frequency range, as it would be useless for you to have an amplified stethoscope that amplified in only regions of normal hearing, and not in the places you need.

I also wonder- do you have a severe enough degree of loss to warrant the use of amplification at all times, or are you just needing the additional assistance with using the stethoscope in a noisy environment? The reason I ask is that often in hearing loss, it is not only an issue of lack of auditory sensitivity (not enough intensity/volume) but also an issue of CLARITY- which may or may not be addressed by amplifying the sound. For some people, amplification will result in a louder, still muffled signal in which case the device is useless to you. In general, for a mild loss it may be enough to opt for the custom molds. Moving to a more moderate to severe loss, you may erceive more benefit from an amplified stethoscope.

As for the external noise reduction, often these terms are a marketing strategy rather than the actual process of active noise cancellation or feedback suppression. Unless you sink a petty penny into a digital stethoscope programmed with noise reduction algorithms, the stethoscope does not really have the ability to actively cancel external noise. This being said, the extra money may be better spent on custom tips, and a good high quality amplified scope versus the more expensive and cumbersome stethoscopes with separate receiver attachments and external adjuncts.

Also, with a pre-existing hearing loss as well as tinnitus I am certain you understand the need to safeguard your intact hair cells within the cochlea- which will mean diligent use of noise protection when necessary.

I would say that any reputable company will allow you to return the product if you aren't satisfied. These amplified devices can be expensive so it is within your best interest to take the time up front and try out a few, versus regretting the purchase later.

Good luck!!! :)

CC

In 30 plus years I have tried many scopes, I used a Littmann for about 10 years and recently switched to an Ultrascope.

Littmann's and DRG are good scopes but a little too sensetive for the back of a truck or a caotic scene.

THe Ultrascope is great but not as durable as it needs to be for EMS.

Ultrascope has an amplified scope that I am not familar with but with the durability issues (retaining ring coming off, head coming off, earpieces coming off) that I have experianced with the regular Ultrascope I would be hesitant.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.