Outdoor Emergency Care

What's the best outdoor emergency care program?  

7 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1. Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC)
    • 2. Wilderness EMT

What do you think is the best outdoor emergency care training program? Personally I like the National Ski Patrol's Outdoor Emergency Care.

WEMT blows OEC out of the water.

OEC is an 80 hour course that is like an in depth FR course with some emphasis on wilderness and a whole lot of emphasis on pt packaging (put em in the sled and go). OEC cannot compare to WEMT, a course thats at least another 60 hours that fully emphasizes wildneress medicine, wilderness protocols, and improvisation, on top of a full EMTB course with clinicals /w clinicals etc.

If you are an EMT, take the wilderness transition course (usually a five day course). You'll find OEC to be mostly review.

On their own, I think Wildnerness First Responder (also 80 hours) is a better wilderness medicine course than OEC unless your goal is to be a ski patroller. In fact, as a WFR, you can pay an OEC course fee and just take the practical and written without attending the course (or at least they used to).

www.desertmountainmedicine.com is a great place to take WFR or WEMT

NOLS also offers these courses.

I's and B's can take the WEMT course and the WALS course from NOLS. There are Wilderness Paramedic programs out there too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.